Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I have noticed that usingenglish allows much more open debate than do some other grammar helplines.

Yesterday, 3/4 of my post at another helpline was deleted because a moderator (who considers himself the

star of that helpline) said my comments contradicted the views of one of their experts.

I hope that UsingEnglish continues to maintain this open-minded policy -- so long as posters start their

posts with the warning "Not a Teacher."

Thank you.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I have noticed that usingenglish allows much more open debate than do some other grammar helplines.

Yesterday, 3/4 of my post at another helpline was deleted because a moderator (who considers himself the star of that helpline) said my comments contradicted the views of one of their experts.

I hope that UsingEnglish continues to maintain this open-minded policy -- so long as posters start their posts with the warning "Not a Teacher."
One of the reasons that I have made UsingEnglish.com my 'home' is that the administrators are very liberal.

Those of us who have established ourselves as 'experts' have done so only because our views have been allowed to stand and, if necessary, be contradicted by, the views of others. In this forum, my 'moderator' rank, if that's the word for it, means only that I have been accepted as someone who is prepared to act as a policeman, on the watch for people who are a little thoughtless, and/or who are trolls. It does not give me any 'expert' status.

I cannot speak for the administrators, those who founded and maintain these forums, but I am very happy to be part of this immensely useful thing they have created. I don't always agree with what you write, TheParser (as you well know), but I have immense respect for a site that allows you and me to present our views without censorship.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thank you for your kind words.

I have just closed my account five minutes ago at that other helpline.

More than two years ago, I closed an account at another helpline where the moderators prided themselves on how many posts they could delete each day.

And just this week, I closed an account at a helpline (run by a very nice person) who told me (very nicely) that the helpline would prefer that certain grammar questions not be asked!

It would appear that UsingEnglish is unique in allowing such a variety of views (with the caveat that must be posted by us non-teachers).

Your kind post has pepped me up a bit.

moonlike

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
With all due respect, for dear administrators as well as moderators, I also think when someone warns "Hello everybody, be on guard I'm not a teacher or not a native teacher" for sure the one who is looking for the answer will get the point and may wait to get more information from the native teachers. So why not having a freedom of speech? We are here to help each other not just trying to mislead someone. So I'm sure everybody will do their best to give a hand to each other. Here dear moderators and administrator kindly help if there are some mistakes.

P.S. I have always find The Parser such a patient person that goes through books to find the best answers for the questions. I'm sure if he were a teacher, he would be the most patient,the kindest and the most respectable teacher.
P.P.S. Once more I do apologize if I interfered in something that maybe was none of my business.
Thanks a million.

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
With all due respect, for dear administrators as well as moderators, I also think when someone warns "Hello everybody, be on guard I'm not a teacher or not a native teacher" for sure the one who is looking for the answer will get the point and may wait to get more information from the native teachers. So why not having a freedom of speech? We are here to help each other not just trying to mislead someone. So I'm sure everybody will do their best to give a hand to each other. Here dear moderators and administrator kindly help if there are some mistakes.
Do you notice that your or anyone else's freedom is being severely restricted here? I haven't noticed any such thing. I have been allowed to speak freely and have watched others being allowed the same. I've said a lot of stupid things on these forums and yet none of my posts has been deleted and my account has never been suspended. I agree with TheParser. This forum is the most welcoming place on the internet I have ever visited. My experience with other forums aiming to help people with their English was similar to TheParser's. It's not even that my answers were deleted -- my questions were, after several useful answers had been posted, without any notification and for reasons I still don't understand. For other forums I have visited, the levels of hospitability vary, but I haven't encountered anything matching what I see here.
P.S. I have always find The Parser such a patient person that goes through books to find the best answers for the questions. I'm sure if he were a teacher, he would be the most patient,the kindest and the most respectable teacher.
I agree. I have learned a lot from TheParser's well researched and clearly written posts.
P.P.S. Once more I do apologize if I interfered in something that maybe was none of my business.
You're a member of this forum. Of course the way this forum works is your business.

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Yesterday, 3/4 of my post at another helpline was deleted because a moderator (who considers himself the star of that helpline) said my comments contradicted the views of one of their experts.

Disagreement with anyone is fine I have my views and will express them, but we're not here to impose them.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

You can look at it another way- it offers a degree of protection to a non-native speaker and gives them room if they do make a mistake. It could also encourage people to participate-it tells newcomers that they don't have to be teachers to get involved.

We have not always asked people to do this. It was actually a user-driven decision- so many people asked for it.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I am very much in favour of non-teachers and non-native speakers answering questions, Not to allow this would deprive us of some very interesting and useful posts.

However, sometimes we get responses from people whose command of English is clearly not up to the level most of us expect in a forum called 'Ask a Teacher'. If such people keep submitting responses which have to be corrected by others, I do PM them to ask them to wait until their English is a little better before posting answers.We all make mistakes from time to time, but it is not helpful to other members to regularly post incorrect answers, even if they come with a 'not a teacher/native speaker' warning.

Status
Not open for further replies.