Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
I cannot make up my mind which of the following versions would be more appropriate:

We would like to invite you as guest speaker on the occasion of our annual general meeting.
We would like to invite you as a guest speaker on the occasion of our annual general meeting.:?:

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I cannot make up my mind which of the following versions would be more appropriate:

We would like to invite you as guest speaker on the occasion of our annual general meeting.
We would like to invite you as a guest speaker on the occasion of our annual general meeting.:?:

Either one is OK, of course, but for some reason that I can't really explain, I prefer the one without "a". It just seems to suggest more importance to the invitation.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland

Both are possible. The first one suggests that there will be only one guest speaker and the second that there will be more than one.

Roadster

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
Thank you, that sounds logical!

Status
Not open for further replies.