Results 1 to 7 of 7
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Turkey

    • Join Date: Mar 2005
    • Posts: 57
    #1

    "other" vs "another"

    Americans are taught that time is valuable: they are proud of jamming a lot of work into a short period and they invented the "working breakfast". It is said that American people think and act in terms of days, weeks and months and the Japanese think and act in terms of months and years. As a result,problems can arise- I know of one American who had been dooing business in Japan for 11 years and it was only after that time that he was considered a true business colleague and friend.

    Punctuality is _____ gray area between different nationalities. For example, in England,it is considered the worst thing to be late for an appointment,which is usually arranged weeks, even months ago.

    A) other
    B) another

    Dear Teacher,

    The above paragraph is excerpted from an exam in a university in Turkey and the answer for the blank is said to be choice A "other".

    However, I believe that is not true and the correct word should be "another".

    Thanks for your clarification and best regards.

  1. Chicken Sandwich's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Netherlands

    • Join Date: Jun 2010
    • Posts: 1,458
    #2

    Re: "other" vs "another"

    Quote Originally Posted by Honore View Post
    However, I believe that is not true and the correct word should be "another".
    NOT A TEACHER

    You are correct. (If you were to use "other", then the sentence should have sounded like this: Punctuality is the other gray area between different nationalities. And not: Punctuality is other gray area between different nationalities. However, I haven't read the context, so perhaps that doesn't make sense. In any case, since "the" is not included in possibility A, B is correct).
    Last edited by Chicken Sandwich; 26-Jun-2012 at 16:30.

  2. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,609
    #3

    Re: "other" vs "another"

    Quote Originally Posted by Honore View Post
    Americans are taught that time is valuable: they are proud of jamming a lot of work into a short period and they invented the "working breakfast". It is said that American people think and act in terms of days, weeks and months and the Japanese think and act in terms of months and years. As a result,problems can arise- I know of one American who had been dooing business in Japan for 11 years and it was only after that time that he was considered a true business colleague and friend.

    Punctuality is _____ gray area between different nationalities. For example, in England,it is considered the worst thing to be late for an appointment,which is usually arranged weeks, even months ago.

    A) other
    B) another

    Dear Teacher,

    The above paragraph is excerpted from an exam in a university in Turkey and the answer for the blank is said to be choice A "other".

    However, I believe that is not true and the correct word should be "another".

    Thanks for your clarification and best regards.
    Only "another" is possible. There is another problem in the second part of the sentence. Can you see what it is?

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 57,845
    #4

    Re: "other" vs "another"

    I agree- another is right

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Turkey

    • Join Date: Mar 2005
    • Posts: 57
    #5

    Re: "other" vs "another"

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    Only "another" is possible. There is another problem in the second part of the sentence. Can you see what it is?
    Dear teacher, thank you very much for your verification. As for your question, is it incorrect comma usage before the word "which", and "that" should be used instead of "which" without a comma because it is an essential clause?

    Thanks for your time and explanations, best regards.
    Last edited by Honore; 26-Jun-2012 at 20:49.

  3. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,609
    #6

    Re: "other" vs "another"

    Quote Originally Posted by Honore View Post
    Dear teacher, thank you very much for your verification. As for your question, is it incorrect comma usage before the word "which", and "that" should be used instead of "which" without a comma because it is an essential clause?

    Thanks for your time and explanations, best regards.
    No, it's not that. "which is usually arranged weeks, even months ago." The problem is with "is" and "ago", it should either be "was" and "ago" or "is" and "before".

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Apr 2009
    • Posts: 12,307
    #7

    Re: "other" vs "another"

    I don't think "ago" works in that sentence at all. It's speaking of appointments in general, not just those that are happening now.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-Jun-2012, 17:55
  2. Defining "Street," "Road," "Avenue," "Boulevard"
    By ahumphreys in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 31-Dec-2010, 08:14
  3. [Vocabulary] Difference between "health" and "wellness", "Diagnosis" and "Analysis"
    By tobysky in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 28-Dec-2010, 23:43
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-Sep-2008, 08:27
  5. confusing words "expressed" or "express" and "named" or"names"
    By Dawood Usmani in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 26-Oct-2007, 19:33

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •