Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Americans are taught that time is valuable: they are proud of jamming a lot of work into a short period and they invented the "working breakfast". It is said that American people think and act in terms of days, weeks and months and the Japanese think and act in terms of months and years. As a result,problems can arise- I know of one American who had been dooing business in Japan for 11 years and it was only after that time that he was considered a true business colleague and friend.

Punctuality is _____ gray area between different nationalities. For example, in England,it is considered the worst thing to be late for an appointment,which is usually arranged weeks, even months ago.

A) other
B) another

Dear Teacher,

The above paragraph is excerpted from an exam in a university in Turkey and the answer for the blank is said to be choice A "other".

However, I believe that is not true and the correct word should be "another".

Thanks for your clarification and best regards.

Chicken Sandwich

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands

NOT A TEACHER

You are correct. (If you were to use "other", then the sentence should have sounded like this: Punctuality is the other gray area between different nationalities. And not: Punctuality is other gray area between different nationalities. However, I haven't read the context, so perhaps that doesn't make sense. In any case, since "the" is not included in possibility A, B is correct).

Last edited:

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Americans are taught that time is valuable: they are proud of jamming a lot of work into a short period and they invented the "working breakfast". It is said that American people think and act in terms of days, weeks and months and the Japanese think and act in terms of months and years. As a result,problems can arise- I know of one American who had been dooing business in Japan for 11 years and it was only after that time that he was considered a true business colleague and friend.

Punctuality is _____ gray area between different nationalities. For example, in England,it is considered the worst thing to be late for an appointment,which is usually arranged weeks, even months ago.

A) other
B) another

Dear Teacher,

The above paragraph is excerpted from an exam in a university in Turkey and the answer for the blank is said to be choice A "other".

Thanks for your clarification and best regards.

Only "another" is possible. There is another problem in the second part of the sentence. Can you see what it is?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I agree- another is right

Honore

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Only "another" is possible. There is another problem in the second part of the sentence. Can you see what it is?

Dear teacher, thank you very much for your verification. As for your question, is it incorrect comma usage before the word "which", and "that" should be used instead of "which" without a comma because it is an essential clause?

Thanks for your time and explanations, best regards.

Last edited:

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Dear teacher, thank you very much for your verification. As for your question, is it incorrect comma usage before the word "which", and "that" should be used instead of "which" without a comma because it is an essential clause?

Thanks for your time and explanations, best regards.

No, it's not that. "which is usually arranged weeks, even months ago." The problem is with "is" and "ago", it should either be "was" and "ago" or "is" and "before".

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't think "ago" works in that sentence at all. It's speaking of appointments in general, not just those that are happening now.

Status
Not open for further replies.