Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
  1. learning54's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain

    • Join Date: Oct 2011
    • Posts: 1,125
    #1

    Could you proofread this reply please?

    Hi teachers,
    I have recieved this response from a teacher:
    Since you spoke of me in the 3rd person, I presumed you were soliciting the advice of another member.

    But he is wrong and I wish to present my reason, is it correct the way I expose it?

    Whatsoever, if I did it that way it is because I didn't want to compromise you personally. I have no reason at all to don't ask for your advice. Now I realize I did it the wrong way.

    Thanks in advance.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2009
    • Posts: 3,505
    #2

    Re: Could you proofread this reply please?

    Quote Originally Posted by learning54 View Post
    Hi teachers,
    I have recieved this response from a teacher:
    Since you spoke of me in the 3rd person, I presumed you were soliciting the advice of another member.

    But he is wrong and I wish to present my reason, is it correct the way I expose it?

    Whatsoever, Sorry, if I did it that way it is because I didn't want to compromise (? not sure what you want to express, but perhaps you could say "surprise you before speaking with you personally") you personally. I have no reason at all to don't not ask for your advice. Now I realize I did it the wrong way.

    Thanks in advance.
    b.

  2. learning54's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain

    • Join Date: Oct 2011
    • Posts: 1,125
    #3

    Re: Could you proofread this reply please?

    Hi billmcd,
    Thank you for your help. The post I wrote it is for a forum on the internet. So I don't have the possibility to see him personally. The thing is that he made a correction about a part of a summary that I did myself a few days ago. Then I went on with the summary, I wrote more about that summary, but because I didn't feel I should compromise him with the new one I said in my post, this is what XXX has rewritten for me. Then he felt that he shouldn't correct the new one because I spoke of him in 3rd person and as he said he presumed I was soliciting the advice of another member.

    Thank you for reading me. (I hope it is clearer now)
    L.

  3. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 41,893
    #4

    Re: Could you proofread this reply please?

    Quote Originally Posted by learning54 View Post
    Hi billmcd,
    Thank you for your help. The post I wrote it is for a forum on the internet. So I don't have the possibility to see him personally. The thing is that he made a correction about a part of a summary that I did myself a few days ago. Then I went on with the summary, I wrote more about that summary, but because I didn't feel I should compromise him with the new one I said in my post, this is what XXX has rewritten for me. Then he felt that he shouldn't correct the new one because I spoke of him in 3rd person and as he said he presumed I was soliciting the advice of another member.

    Thank you for reading me. (I hope it is clearer now)
    L.
    When you say "I did not want to compromise him", do you mean that you did not wish to reveal his identity?
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

  4. learning54's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain

    • Join Date: Oct 2011
    • Posts: 1,125
    #5

    Re: Could you proofread this reply please?

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    When you say "I did not want to compromise him", do you mean that you did not wish to reveal his identity?
    Hi,
    Thank you for you reply. Not really. What I want to say is that I didn't want to compromise him with the new correction which was the second part of the previous one he has rewritten for me.

    L.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2009
    • Posts: 3,505
    #6

    Re: Could you proofread this reply please?

    Quote Originally Posted by learning54 View Post
    Hi,
    Thank you for you reply. Not really. What I want to say is that I didn't want to compromise him with the new correction which was the second part of the previous one he has rewritten for me.

    L.
    I think it would help us if you would define your use of "compromise".

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Apr 2009
    • Posts: 12,310
    #7

    Re: Could you proofread this reply please?

    It seems to me that if you would like him to correct it, you should ask him to do so directly.

  5. learning54's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain

    • Join Date: Oct 2011
    • Posts: 1,125
    #8

    Re: Could you proofread this reply please?

    Quote Originally Posted by billmcd View Post
    I think it would help us if you would define your use of "compromise".
    Hi,
    What I mean is that I don't want him to feel force to do it. That's why I didn't ask him to do it directly.

    L.

  6. learning54's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain

    • Join Date: Oct 2011
    • Posts: 1,125
    #9

    Re: Could you proofread this reply please?

    Quote Originally Posted by SoothingDave View Post
    It seems to me that if you would like him to correct it, you should ask him to do so directly.
    Hi,
    Please read my response to billmcd.

    L.

  7. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 41,893
    #10

    Re: Could you proofread this reply please?

    Quote Originally Posted by learning54 View Post
    Hi,
    What I mean is that I don't want him to feel force to do it. That's why I didn't ask him to do it directly.

    L.
    That explains part of our confusion with this thread. There is no definition of "compromise" that I know of that means anything like "to force someone to do something" or to make them feel that that is expected of them.

    So am I understanding the situation correctly? You posted the first half of a piece on a forum and asked for someone to correct it. XXX corrected it. You then posted the second half, along with the words "XXX corrected the first half for me. I would be grateful if someone could correct the second half for me" (or something similar). You then received a private message (?) from XXX saying that he thought that your post meant that he had corrected Part 1 but you were specifically asking for someone else to correct Part 2.

    You now wish to make him aware that you are very grateful for his correction to Part 1 and that you would be grateful to anyone for correcting Part 2. You did not want him to feel that you expected him to correct Part 2 simply because he corrected Part 1 but, of course, you would be just as grateful to him if he continued to correct your piece.

    Is that right?

    If so, I suggest a post on the forum or a private message with "XXX - thank you very much for correcting the first half of my piece. I did not want you to feel that I expected you to correct Part 2 but, of course, your comments on Part 2 will be very welcome. Sorry for any misunderstanding."

    As we've explained, you're not using "compromise" correctly so don't use that in your reply to him.
    Last edited by emsr2d2; 27-Jun-2012 at 07:50. Reason: typos
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. How to reply: Please let me know if there is anything else.
    By goodstudent in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 24-Mar-2012, 15:43
  2. reply email to get a reply?
    By goodstudent in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 20-Mar-2012, 19:17
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 23-Feb-2009, 09:57
  4. [General] pl. reply
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-Aug-2008, 09:52
  5. Post reply vs Quick reply
    By Humble in forum Support Area
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 29-Aug-2006, 09:22

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •