Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Hi teachers,
I have recieved this response from a teacher:
Since you spoke of me in the 3rd person, I presumed you were soliciting the advice of another member.

But he is wrong and I wish to present my reason, is it correct the way I expose it?

Whatsoever, if I did it that way it is because I didn't want to compromise you personally. I have no reason at all to don't ask for your advice. Now I realize I did it the wrong way.

Thanks in advance.

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi teachers,
I have recieved this response from a teacher:
Since you spoke of me in the 3rd person, I presumed you were soliciting the advice of another member.

But he is wrong and I wish to present my reason, is it correct the way I expose it?

[STRIKE]Whatsoever, [/STRIKE] Sorry,[STRIKE] if [/STRIKE] I did it that way [STRIKE] it is [/STRIKE] because I didn't want to [STRIKE]compromise[/STRIKE] (? not sure what you want to express, but perhaps you could say "surprise you before speaking with you personally") [STRIKE]you personally[/STRIKE]. I have no reason at all to [STRIKE]don't[/STRIKE] not ask for your advice. Now I realize I did it the wrong way.

Thanks in advance.

b.

learning54

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Hi billmcd,
Thank you for your help. The post I wrote it is for a forum on the internet. So I don't have the possibility to see him personally. The thing is that he made a correction about a part of a summary that I did myself a few days ago. Then I went on with the summary, I wrote more about that summary, but because I didn't feel I should compromise him with the new one I said in my post, this is what XXX has rewritten for me. Then he felt that he shouldn't correct the new one because I spoke of him in 3rd person and as he said he presumed I was soliciting the advice of another member.

Thank you for reading me. (I hope it is clearer now)
L.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi billmcd,
Thank you for your help. The post I wrote it is for a forum on the internet. So I don't have the possibility to see him personally. The thing is that he made a correction about a part of a summary that I did myself a few days ago. Then I went on with the summary, I wrote more about that summary, but because I didn't feel I should compromise him with the new one I said in my post, this is what XXX has rewritten for me. Then he felt that he shouldn't correct the new one because I spoke of him in 3rd person and as he said he presumed I was soliciting the advice of another member.

Thank you for reading me. (I hope it is clearer now)
L.

When you say "I did not want to compromise him", do you mean that you did not wish to reveal his identity?

learning54

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
When you say "I did not want to compromise him", do you mean that you did not wish to reveal his identity?

Hi,
Thank you for you reply. Not really. What I want to say is that I didn't want to compromise him with the new correction which was the second part of the previous one he has rewritten for me.

L.

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi,
Thank you for you reply. Not really. What I want to say is that I didn't want to compromise him with the new correction which was the second part of the previous one he has rewritten for me.

L.

I think it would help us if you would define your use of "compromise".

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It seems to me that if you would like him to correct it, you should ask him to do so directly.

learning54

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
I think it would help us if you would define your use of "compromise".
Hi,
What I mean is that I don't want him to feel force to do it. That's why I didn't ask him to do it directly.

L.

learning54

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
It seems to me that if you would like him to correct it, you should ask him to do so directly.

Hi,
Please read my response to billmcd.

L.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi,
What I mean is that I don't want him to feel force to do it. That's why I didn't ask him to do it directly.

L.

That explains part of our confusion with this thread. There is no definition of "compromise" that I know of that means anything like "to force someone to do something" or to make them feel that that is expected of them.

So am I understanding the situation correctly? You posted the first half of a piece on a forum and asked for someone to correct it. XXX corrected it. You then posted the second half, along with the words "XXX corrected the first half for me. I would be grateful if someone could correct the second half for me" (or something similar). You then received a private message (?) from XXX saying that he thought that your post meant that he had corrected Part 1 but you were specifically asking for someone else to correct Part 2.

You now wish to make him aware that you are very grateful for his correction to Part 1 and that you would be grateful to anyone for correcting Part 2. You did not want him to feel that you expected him to correct Part 2 simply because he corrected Part 1 but, of course, you would be just as grateful to him if he continued to correct your piece.

Is that right?

If so, I suggest a post on the forum or a private message with "XXX - thank you very much for correcting the first half of my piece. I did not want you to feel that I expected you to correct Part 2 but, of course, your comments on Part 2 will be very welcome. Sorry for any misunderstanding."

As we've explained, you're not using "compromise" correctly so don't use that in your reply to him.

Last edited:

learning54

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
So do I have this right? You posted the first half of a piece on a forum and asked for someone to correct it. Someone corrected it. You then posted the second half, along with the words "XXX corrected the first half for me. I would be grateful if someone could correct the second half for me" (or something similar). You then received a private message (?) from XXX saying that he thought that your post meant that he had corrected Part 1 but you were specifically asking for someone else to correct Part 2. Absolutely right!

You now wish to make him aware that you are very grateful for his correction to Part 1 and that you would be grateful to anyone for correcting Part 2. You did not want him to feel that you expected him to correct Part 2 simply because he corrected Part 1 but, of course, you would be just as grateful to him if he continued to correct your piece.

Is that right? Once again you are right!

As we've explained, you're not using "compromise" correctly so don't use that in your reply to him.

Hi,
Thank you very much for your reply and clarification. I can see where my mistake was. I use 'compromise' as a literal translation from the Spanish word 'comprometer'. Sorry to have puzzled all of you.:oops:

L.

Last edited:

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain

Hi,

Seeing Learning54's Member Info I understood why he used "compromise" the way he did: he's Spanish (just like me), and "compromise" is a false friend: in Spanish it does have the sense he was trying to convey.

Learning, if I may say so without your taking it to heart, be more careful next time; you're a teacher after all (althoough I am fully aware that even the best of teachers is allowed to make mistakes, ans I am far from free of them myself! Sangría for everyone, on me! :cheers:

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
That explains part of our confusion with this thread. There is no definition of "compromise" that I know of that means anything like "to force someone to do something" or to make them feel that that is expected of them.

So am I understanding the situation correctly? You posted the first half of a piece on a forum and asked for someone to correct it. XXX corrected it. You then posted the second half, along with the words "XXX corrected the first half for me. I would be grateful if someone could correct the second half for me" (or something similar). You then received a private message (?) from XXX saying that he thought that your post meant that he had corrected Part 1 but you were specifically asking for someone else to correct Part 2.

Is that right?

If so, I suggest a post on the forum or a private message with "XXX - thank you very much for correcting the first half of my piece. I did not want you to feel that I expected you to correct Part 2 but, of course, your comments on Part 2 will be very welcome. Sorry for any misunderstanding."

emsr2d2: You should get Usingenglish bonus points. :up:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
emsr2d2: You should get Usingenglish bonus points. :up:

That sounds great. What can I buy with them? Perhaps I can give them out to people who use "u" and "thx" so they can buy the other letters they need.

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
That sounds great. What can I buy with them? Perhaps I can give them out to people who use "u" and "thx" so they can buy the other letters they need.

Don't forget "gonna" and "wanna"!:-D

Status
Not open for further replies.