• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

Talking Is it acceptable to say How are you THOSE days? when initiating a letter to a friend.

It is common practice to say Howou are you these days instead of HOw are you those days. BUt I am wondering if "those days" is acceptable to a English language native speaker. Thanks for your comments.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Re: Is it acceptable to say How are you THOSE days? when initiating a letter to a fri

Quote Originally Posted by davidtao View Post
    It is common practice to say "Howou are you?" these days instead of "HOow are you?" those days. It isn't.
    BUut I am wondering if "those days" is acceptable to a English language native speaker. No.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Is it acceptable to say How are you THOSE days? when initiating a letter to a fri

Demonstrating the importance of punctuation
    It is common practice to say "How are you these days?" instead of "How are you those days?"

I agree that it's reasonably common, after greeting someone you have not seen in a long time, to say "How are you these days?" especially if they were (perhaps) going through some difficulty when you last saw them. "Oh, my dog made a full recovery, my son was acquitted of all charges, and my mistress turned out not to be pregnant, so it's all good, thanks."
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Quote Originally Posted by Barb_D View Post
    Demonstrating the importance of punctuation.
    Indeed it is. I genuinely had no idea that the 'these/those days' was meant to be part of the greeting/question.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

"How were you those days" is perhaps acceptable if the conversation goes something like:

A: I was sick for a week, and after that I had to pass a whole bunch of exams.
    B. And how were you those days?

Meaning "And how was your health during your exams?". But it's a pretty careless usage. In any case, "those days" refers to the past, not the present.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by abaka View Post
    "How were you those days" is perhaps acceptable if the conversation goes something like:

Meaning "And how was your health during your exams?". But it's a pretty careless usage. In any case, "those days" refers to the past, not the present.
    There might be a Canadian English vs British English difference there, but in the situation you suggested, I would say "How were you in those days?" or simply "How were you then?"
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Yes, I did say it would be a careless usage. The thing I really wanted to point out is that "these days" marks the present or the immediate future (the formal "presently", so to speak), while "those days" marks the only the past -- and does not seem natural for the remote future, either.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Israel
      • Current Location:
      • Israel

Quote Originally Posted by abaka View Post

It is more common to say: How are you these days? instead of : How are you those days?

these days refers to present ,but those days refers to the past.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    There might be a Canadian English vs British English difference there, but in the situation you suggested, I would say "How were you in those days?" or simply "How were you then?"
    But a flat prohibition of the words 'those days' doesn't work; we don't want to give the impression that 'those days' is always unnatural-sounding. Sometimes there's not, as in Br Eng, a requirement for 'in'. A history book, for example, could say 'Those days were a testing time for the alliance'.

b