• Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Belarus
      • Current Location:
      • Belarus

Continuous and Perfect Tenses

Dear friends,

I kindly ask you to check the following tasks. Thank you ever so much.

I. Use the Perfect Tenses for the verbs in brackets.

1. I donít know how often I (to tell) you that I donít believe in this. - I donít know how often I have told you that I donít believe in this.
    2. The escaped prisoner (to try) to disguise his appearance, but a scar on his cheek betrayed him. - The escaped prisoner had tried to disguise his appearance, but a scar on his cheek betrayed him.
    3. All Juneís friends (to fall) off one by one before holidays ended. - All Juneís friends had fallen off one by one before holidays ended.
    4. He seemed so ungrateful for anything we did that we (to cease) trying to help him. - He seemed so ungrateful for anything we did that we had ceased trying to help him.
    5. I (to give) up all thoughts of ever getting to bed, when some of them suggested to go back to the aerodrome. - I had given up all thoughts of ever getting to bed, when some of them suggested to go back to the aerodrome.
    6. Those shoes (to go) out already. - Those shoes have gone out already.
    7. The prices of consumer goods (to go) up recently. - The prices of consumer goods have gone up recently.
    8. They were women of tarnished reputation and men who (to go) down in the social scale. - They were women of tarnished reputation and men who had gone down in the social scale.
    9. When my nephew turned ten he got a wonderful stamp for a present and since that time stamp-collecting (to become) his hobby. - When my nephew turned ten he got a wonderful stamp for a present and since that time stamp-collecting has become his hobby.
    10. These apples will not sell at the market price, they (to become) inferior in quality. - These apples will not sell at the market price, they have become inferior in quality.
    11. It (to say) that he is in for a severe punishment. - It has been said that he is in for a severe punishment.
    12. You donít know what trouble is. I (to go) through a lot of trouble. - You donít know what trouble is. I have gone through a lot of trouble.
    13. This week things (to be) even worse. - This week things have been even worse.
    14. I am taking my wife out tonight. She (not to have) a fun for a long time. - I am taking my wife out tonight. She hasnít had a fun for a long time.
    15. We (to paint) the fence by nine oíclock in the evening tomorrow. - We will have painted the fence by nine oíclock in the evening tomorrow.

II. Use the Continuous Tenses for the verbs in brackets.
    1. He could see that several women (to hold) back tears. - He could see that several women were holding back tears.
    2. The guard who patiently (to watch) them for some time, finally went off the handle and said the children must behave or he would make trouble. - The guard who patiently had been watching them for some time, finally went off the handle and said the children must behave or he would make trouble.
    3. I (to stay) here now. I (to hope) that moment you had come down. - I am staying here now. I was hoping that moment you had come down.
    4. I canít understand what he (to drive) at. - I canít understand what he is driving at.
    5. My mother-in-law (to come) on a long visit now. - My mother-in-law is coming on a long visit now.
    6. Now new houses (to go) up in place of the old ones pulled down. - Now new houses are going up in place of the old ones pulled down
    7. We arrived at the station just as the train (to pull) out of the station. - We arrived at the station just as the train was pulling out of the station.
    8. It (to sleet) when we got into London. - It was sleeting when we got into London.
    9. I hope we (not to put) you out by arriving so early. - . I hope we arenít putting/wonít be putting you out by arriving so early.
    10. It usually annoys me when people keep saying that I (to put) on weight. - It usually annoys me when people keep saying that I am putting on weight.
    11. Vast areas of new buildings (to build) in Moscow and its vicinity. - Vast areas of new buildings are being built in Moscow and its vicinity.
    12. I (not to feel) well myself all day yesterday. - I wasnít feeling well myself all day yesterday.
    13. You (to work) too hard and look run down. - You are working/have been working too hard and look run down.
    14. I (not to run) to such luxuries. - I have not been running to such luxuries.
    15. I had an uncomfortable feeling that he (to laugh) at me. - I had an uncomfortable feeling that he was laughing at me.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Re: Continuous and Perfect Tenses

Please post one question at a time.