• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Urdu
      • Home Country:
      • Pakistan
      • Current Location:
      • Afghanistan

May be able Vs Might be able

1, Marsh may be able to lend you money. (In a local English book written by a non-English author states, "May Be Able is used for a possibility, perhaps / possible Marsh lend him money.) Is it true? But
    2, Marsh might be able to lend you money.(Author says Might Be Able means Marsh will not give him money) Is it true?

Please clear me the meaning & uses of both.

Regards

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain

Re: May be able Vs Might be able

Hi,

For this post of yours, and for the other one you posted concerning modal verbs: https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/t...certainty.html

It will give you some basic information about them. Then you can ask if you need more extended explanations on anything related to them.

Greetings,

charliedeut
    Please be aware that I'm neither a native English speaker nor a teacher.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Quote Originally Posted by Jadoon 84 View Post
    "May Be Able is used for a possibility, perhaps / possibley Marsh will (be able to) lend him money.) Is it true? But
    2, Marsh might be able to lend you money.(The aAuthor says "Might Be Able" means Marsh will not give him money) Is it true?
    For some speakers, there is no difference between the two. Both mean that there is a possibility that Marsh will be able to lend the money.

Some speakers feel that the possibility suggested by 'might' is lower than that suggested by 'may'; however, the possibility still exists.The author is wrong in saying that Marsh will not lend the money.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain

Quote Originally Posted by 5jj View Post
    Some speakers feel that the possibility suggested by 'might' is lower than that suggested by 'may'; however, the possibility still exists.
    That's the way I was taught it and, therefore, the way I taught it. To me, however, both hold a double implication: first, the possibility that Marsh does in fact have the money; second, the possibility of her lending it to me. But right now I don't really know whether this feeling is right, or the modals only refer to the latter.

Greetings,

charliedeut
    Please be aware that I'm neither a native English speaker nor a teacher.