Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Afghanistan
1, Marsh may be able to lend you money. (In a local English book written by a non-English author states, "May Be Able is used for a possibility, perhaps / possible Marsh lend him money.) Is it true? But
2, Marsh might be able to lend you money.(Author says Might Be Able means Marsh will not give him money) Is it true?

Please clear me the meaning & uses of both.

Regards

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
"May Be Able is used for a possibility, perhaps / possibl[STRIKE]e[/STRIKE]y Marsh will (be able to) lend him money.) Is it true? But
2, Marsh might be able to lend you money.(The a[STRIKE]A[/STRIKE]uthor says "Might Be Able" means Marsh will not give him money) Is it true?
For some speakers, there is no difference between the two. Both mean that there is a possibility that Marsh will be able to lend the money.

Some speakers feel that the possibility suggested by 'might' is lower than that suggested by 'may'; however, the possibility still exists.The author is wrong in saying that Marsh will not lend the money.

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Some speakers feel that the possibility suggested by 'might' is lower than that suggested by 'may'; however, the possibility still exists.

That's the way I was taught it and, therefore, the way I taught it. To me, however, both hold a double implication: first, the possibility that Marsh does in fact have the money; second, the possibility of her lending it to me. But right now I don't really know whether this feeling is right, or the modals only refer to the latter.

Greetings,

charliedeut

Status
Not open for further replies.