Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Scrabble is the world’s most popular word game. For its origins, we have to go back to the 1930s in the USA, when Alfred Butts, an architect, found himself out of (46) ……………….. He decided that there was a (47) ………………. for a board game based on words and (48) ………………. to design one. Eventually he made a (49) ………………. from it, in spite of the fact that his original ………………. was only three cents a game. 46 A earning B work C income D job

47 A market B purchase C commerce D sale

48 A took up B set out C made for D got round

49 A wealth B fund C cash D fortune

50 A receipt B benefit C profit D allowance

Last edited by a moderator:

abaka

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I don't want to answer directly, but I'll point out:

(46) When people are employed, they have a job; when unemployed, they are looking for a job because they are out of work.

(47) Purchase and sale are the two ends of a single transaction; and the market is the place where the activity of commerce is done.

(48) One takes up a hobby or occupation, sets out to do something, makes for a destination, and gets round to doing something.

(49) Wealth is an abstract noun; a fund is a pool into which one invests in order to increase one's money; cash is simply the most liquid form of money, that is coin or currency; and a fortune is a large supply of money or other wealth accumulated from commerce, employment, inheritance, and so on.

(50) A receipt is the total amount of money received in a transaction or a document given to certify monies received; a benefit is any advantage received by doing something; profit is the net difference of income less expenditure; and an allowance is something voluntarily granted to you by someone else without necessarily receiving something in compensation.

I think this should be enough to let you figure out the correct answers. Please pay attention to the exact phrasing I've used, especially the words in italics :).

Last edited:

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Perhaps the spacing caused Gil to miss b, work.

Status
Not open for further replies.