Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Hello! It's me again. You didn't give me the chance to reply for an explanation so I'll post it here. The main subject of this assignment is translation into Spanish and what I asked here is just the English transcription, which is completely allowed for this kind of exercise. Teachers encourage us to look for help, whether it is from native English speakers, friends, etc, for transcriptions, because they consider it is important to use different resources (which in fact they also do). The punctuation of this exercise is based on my translation into Spanish, the adaptation and synchronization of the dialogue with the video, not the transcription of the English text. You assumed I was trying to cheat and closed the thread not giving me the chance to solve the misunderstanding. Well I would be very grateful if anybody helped me with this ;-)

So here is my text again:

Please I need help with the transcription of this video: becket - YouTube

This is what I've done so far, and I need to complete the gaps so I can proceed to the translation:

ANNE COATES: Hall Wallis came over to see some _________ or two in Lawrence for Beckett _______________so cut sequences for it. And Hall Wallis rang up the next day and offered me Becket. __________________________ wasn't in a huge demand of money_____ to put it up a bit, but once I won the Oscar he knew______________________expensive so he got me quick.

In Becket was such a beautiful script. I mean, I think it's the most exquisitely written script that I've ever done. The dialogue _____________________and Peter Glenville who _____________

This is where the coming of a film like Lawrencewe would be getting thousand of __________. You know charging, camels, and battles and blowing up trains and the dialogue seems _______________ writer.______________Becket we chose beautiful to look at wonderfully created, wonderful sets and costumes, great dialogue, great __________, but hardly any actual_________. There were a few soldiers upon _______________

THOMAS BECKET: The rich are at home sulking.

HENRY II: Supporters of king Louis of France?

BECKET: No, it's just that it cost too much!

ANNE COATES: I would've given them a shared Oscar because I thought they were both so good. It's wonderful to ________. I mean both the boys gave superb performances. I mean it was two top actors acting together, but they're antagonists.____________________________when you play tennis or anything you can play against somebody good, you play a ____ game. I came from the school of___________ the beliefs if a scene is played really well between two or three characters __________________________________________

HENRY II: Help me Thomas, I'm frightened!

A. COATES: When they go to France, Peter O'Toole's Henry II ___________ for his friend Becket. And when he arrives he goes into the_______ to see ____________________. And he pulls the blanket back to show this semi-naked Frenchwoman. Anyway one day, just for fun as a publicity stunt __________________ they put Elisabeth Taylor semi-naked, she was really well _________ but semi-naked.______________quite a lot of things underneath the blanket. And ______________ came in ____________the blanket and because Peter swore________________________ and because it was unusual because he was totally taken by surprise. They couldn't use it for publibity because of language. _______________dont' keep that piece of film________________.

SlickVic9000

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
(Not a Teacher)

--Anne Coates: Hal Wallis came over to see some of Peter O'Toole in Lawrence {of Arabia} for Becket (as...can see him in Becket?) and he came over and I ran some cut sequences for him. And Hal Wallis rang up the next day and offered me Becket. And it was a smart move on his part, actually, because I wasn't earning a huge amount of money (that I was putting up a bid?), but once I won the Oscar he knew I would become much more expensive, so he got me quick.
And Becket was such a beautiful script, and I mean I think it is the most exquisitely written script that I've ever done. The dialogue (Sounds like a name, but I can't make it out) and Peter Glenville, who directed the direct translation because he spoke French. It was weird coming off of a film like Lawrence, where you were getting thousands of featured dailies. You know, charging camels and battles and blowing up trains, and the dialogue seems excellent because Robert Bolt was a wonderful writer, to coming on to something like Becket, which was beautiful to look at, wonderfully created, and wonderful sets and costumes, great dialogue, great scenes, but hardly any action at all. We had a few soldiers up on the hill here and there, you know....(movie scene cuts in)
--Richard Burton: The rich are at home sulking.
--Peter O'Toole: Supporters of King Louis of France?
--Richard Burton: No, it just would have cost too much.
--Anne Coates: I would have given them a shared Oscar because I thought they were both so good. It was wonderful to cut. I mean both the boys gave superb performances. I mean that was two top actors, acting together, but as antagonists, but they weren't at all antagonistic towards each other, they were great. But you know, one (?) it was like you were playing tennis or anything, if you could play against somebody good, you play your tip-top game. I come from the school of editing that believes if a scene is playing really well between two or three characters, you've got interesting camera moves, maybe, or the actors are doing interesting moves, then hold it, you don't need to cut in. People cut in now, (when it's) quite unnecessary. It just becomes the style, so one does it. But I think with a scene like between those two, perfect both in a frame, you don't want to chop that up. Because there are vibes coming off each other which was so good, and you hold that.
--Richard Burton: Help me, Thomas...I'm frightened!
--Anne Coates: When they go to France, Peter O'Toole's Henry II sends for his friend, Becket, and when he arrives, he goes in to see him, and then there's this blanket lying there, and he pulls the blanket back to show this semi-naked French woman. Anyway, one day, just for fun, as a publicity stunt, actually, which I thought they would be able to use, ummm...they put Elizabeth Taylor semi-naked, I Mean, she was fairly well clothed, semi...well, you know, down to quite a few things underneath the blanket, and Richard Burton came in and Peter pulled back the blanket, and of course Richard swore, and I can't, suppose, say what he said, and it was, of course, unusable because he was totally taken by surprise, but they couldn't use it for publicity because of that language. So, I, like an idiot, didn't keep that piece of film. I should have kept it!

I realize some of things she said weren't entirely grammatical, but I didn't really make too much of an effort to correct it here. That's just how interviews are. She mumbles a little bit as well, so there are a handful of spots where I am not sure what she said, which are indicated by parentheses.

Last edited:

Nakuru

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
(Not a Teacher)

--Anne Coates: Hal Wallis came over to see some of Peter O'Toole in Lawrence {of Arabia} for Becket (as...can see him in Becket?) and he came over and I ran some cut sequences for him. And Hal Wallis rang up the next day and offered me Becket. And it was a smart move on his part, actually, because I wasn't earning a huge amount of money (that I was putting up a bid?), but once I won the Oscar he knew I would become much more expensive, so he got me quick.
And Becket was such a beautiful script, and I mean I think it is the most exquisitely written script that I've ever done. The dialogue (Sounds like a name, but I can't make it out) and Peter Glenville, who directed the direct translation because he spoke French. It was weird coming off of a film like Lawrence, where you were getting thousands of featured dailies. You know, charging camels and battles and blowing up trains, and the dialogue seems excellent because Robert Bolt was a wonderful writer, to coming on to something like Becket, which was beautiful to look at, wonderfully created, and wonderful sets and costumes, great dialogue, great scenes, but hardly any action at all. We had a few soldiers up on the hill here and there, you know....(movie scene cuts in)
--Richard Burton: The rich are at home sulking.
--Peter O'Toole: Supporters of King Louis of France?
--Richard Burton: No, it just would have cost too much.
--Anne Coates: I would have given them a shared Oscar because I thought they were both so good. It was wonderful to cut. I mean both the boys gave superb performances. I mean that was two top actors, acting together, but as antagonists, but they weren't at all antagonistic towards each other, they were great. But you know, one (?) it was like you were playing tennis or anything, if you could play against somebody good, you play your tip-top game. I come from the school of editing that believes if a scene is playing really well between two or three characters, you've got interesting camera moves, maybe, or the actors are doing interesting moves, then hold it, you don't need to cut in. People cut in now, (when it's) quite unnecessary. It just becomes the style, so one does it. But I think with a scene like between those two, perfect both in a frame, you don't want to chop that up. Because there are vibes coming off each other which was so good, and you hold that.
--Richard Burton: Help me, Thomas...I'm frightened!
--Anne Coates: When they go to France, Peter O'Toole's Henry II sends for his friend, Becket, and when he arrives, he goes in to see him, and then there's this blanket lying there, and he pulls the blanket back to show this semi-naked French woman. Anyway, one day, just for fun, as a publicity stunt, actually, which I thought they would be able to use, ummm...they put Elizabeth Taylor semi-naked, I Mean, she was fairly well clothed, semi...well, you know, down to quite a few things underneath the blanket, and Richard Burton came in and Peter pulled back the blanket, and of course Richard swore, and I can't, suppose, say what he said, and it was, of course, unusable because he was totally taken by surprise, but they couldn't use it for publicity because of that language. So, I, like an idiot, didn't keep that piece of film. I should have kept it!

I realize some of things she said weren't entirely grammatical, but I didn't really make too much of an effort to correct it here. That's just how interviews are. She mumbles a little bit as well, so there are a handful of spots where I am not sure what she said, which are indicated by parentheses.

Thank you very much, that really helped a lot! :-D Yes I noticed she mumbles in some parts and that was confusing :s
Also some of my already transcribed parts weren't correct and you rewrote them, so thanks so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.