Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Hong Kong
I would like to enquire about the use of "which" in reported speech. I have looked at many grammar references but not many actually go over the use of "which" very clearly.

If we have a look at the following example,

Sara asked Peter, "Which pen is yours?"
In reported speech it could be,

1. Sara asked Peter which was his pen.
or
2. Sara asked Peter which his pen was.
or
3. Sara asked Peter which pen was his.

If we follow the rules of reported speech it would seem that number 2 is the most correct but if we look at the other 2 alternatives (1 and 3) they both appear as better answers. Could someone tell me which is the best answer and why the rules of reported speech cannot be applied with the use of "which".

abaka

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Look at the order of the words:

Sara asked Peter which pen was his. (3)

(3) is the closest to the direct question and is therefore the best choice. (1) is very awkward, (2) is wrong.

Besides adjusting verb tenses, pronoun references and so on, it is important in reported speech to follow the order of the words carefully.

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

2. Sara asked Peter which his pen was.
o3. Sara asked Peter which pen was his.
It's not really about just 'which', but about reported questions with 'who/what/which' containing the verb BE.

Normally, the word order in any indirect question is as in: Sara asked Peter which pen his was. This is one possible version.
In a 'who/what/which' question, espcially one with a longer subject, the word order in #3 is possible. The subject in your question is not long, but #3 is still possible.

Because a 'which' question can sometimes, be asked in two ways - 'Which pen is yours?' and 'which is your pen', some people might report your original as Sara asked which his pen was was, or Sara asked which was his pen.

Last edited:

abaka

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I'm sorry, but Sara asked which pen his was sounds terrible to my ears. Are you really suggesting it's correct, 5jj?

Sara asked, 'which is your pen' is reported as Sara asked which was his pen. As I've said, I think it's awkward, but still correct.

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I'm sorry, but Sara asked which pen his was sounds terrible to my ears. Are you really suggesting it's correct, 5jj? Yes. I don't think it sounds particularly awkward.

Sara asked, 'which is your pen' is reported as Sara asked which was his pen. As I've said, I think it's awkward, but still correct.
I agree. Sorry if my previous past was unclear. I have edited to remove problems - I hope.

abaka

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Um, to avoid misunderstanding the version I objected to as terrible was the one you edited out in your previous post. But then you say "I don't think it sounds particularly awkward"

So it seems we agree, if we go by your edits. To avoid confusion let me restate:

Sara asked which pen his was <-- WRONG

Sara asked which pen was his
<-- GOOD, reports Sara asked, "Which pen is yours?".

Sara asked which was his pen <-- CORRECT, reports Sara asked, "Which is your pen?".

Are you satisfied with this, 5jj?

[I still think "Which is your pen?" is a little awkward as a direct question, and the indirect "...which was his pen" is more awkward still, but that's preference I won't argue further].

Last edited:

angel_sandie

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Hong Kong
So, from a grammatical point of view there could be 3 possible answers that are acceptable.

2. Sara asked Peter which pen his was.
3. Sara asked Peter which pen was his.

And 'Sara asked Peter which his pen was.' Is definitely wrong.

abaka

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
#2 is the one I am questioning (severely). 5jj has said he does not object to it, but he has edited it out -- or has he? Otherwise, yes!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In my opinion, the following are all fine:

Sara asked Peter which pen was his.
Sara asked Peter which pen his was.
Sara asked Peter which was his pen.
Sara asked Peter which [one] his pen was.

Sara asked Peter to identify his pen.
Sara asked Peter to pick his pen out of a line-up. ;-)

angel_sandie

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Hong Kong
To me those 3 statements now sound correct. It is very easy to come to the conclusion that #2 is correct. How about we use where instead of which and relook at the examples.

Sara asked Peter, "Where is your dog?"
The answer would be:

Sara asked Peter where his dog was.

This would be the only correct answer if we are assuming that the tense has to change. In this case #2 which follows a similar format would be correct.

abaka

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
The problem is that in English the subjective complement really does not precede the copula. So "...which pen his was" is weird, even in a subordinate clause.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I agree that it sounds odd but I think that's simply because of the similarity in sound of "his" and "was". I would have no issue, for example, with "Tom could see 5 cars. He knew one was mine but he wasn't sure which, so he asked me which one mine was​."

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
The problem is that in English the subjective complement really does not precede the copula.
It this construction, it can.[/QUOTE]

Status
Not open for further replies.