Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I need to write a message using an internet form located on an American college's website. It's purpose will be to ask some general questions concerning admissions to the college. In the form, there are only 3 fields: my name, topic and the main body of the message. Should I treat it like a normal letter? If so, would it be a formal or a semi-formal letter? I don't know who will read the message, probably it will be one of several people who answer the questions. How should I start the message and how to end it? What phrases should I use? Or maybe should I just send the questions, without any formal additions?

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Treat it as you would a semi-formal email. Do NOT use "Internet speak" like "i hv a question and i hope u can answer it." I'm sure that wasn't your plan anyway.

You don't need formal additions, but you do need to observe courtesy.

I have a few questions regarding ... and would greatly appreciate your help in obtaining answers.
1) Question 1
2) Question 2

If you need me to provide any additional information, please let me know. I appreciate your time in responding and look forward to hearing from you.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You'd be appalled at what people think passes for writing these days. Or rather, u'd be shocked 2 find wat dey think iz ok!

Status
Not open for further replies.