Other
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
South Korea
Hello.
Is it correct to split the following sentence conataining 'in which' into these two sentences? If not, I will be grateful if someone can point me out where I did mistake or give me correct sentences.

"You seem to have modeled your ideals for relationships based on ones in which aggressive interactions replace or validate the expression of love."http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...3042538AAfb2vr

=You seem to have modeled her ideals for relationships based on somethings.+Somethings aggressive interactions replace or validate the expression of love in.

Last edited:

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Where does this sentence come from? I'm not a big fan of 'in which', and I would agree that it is often a good idea to split a long sentence into two (or more) bits. But you can't take an initially bad sentence and improve it by replacing it with two bad sentences. Work out what you want to say and say it. Why bring 'modelling' into it, just because it's a cliché of late 20th-century psychobabble? And do you know what 'ideal' means? (I'm sorry - it's impossible to repair language when it's the underlying thinking that needs repairing. :))

b

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
There are some relationships that have aggressive interactions that replace or validate the expression of love. She has modeled her ideals for all relationships based on those types of relationships.

She seems to have modeled her ideals for relationships on relationships with aggressive interactions that have replaced or validated...

eggcracker

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
South Korea
Where does this sentence come from? I'm not a big fan of 'in which', and I would agree that it is often a good idea to split a long sentence into two (or more) bits. But you can't take an initially bad sentence and improve it by replacing it with two bad sentences. Work out what you want to say and say it. Why bring 'modelling' into it, just because it's a cliché of late 20th-century psychobabble? And do you know what 'ideal' means? (I'm sorry - it's impossible to repair language when it's the underlying thinking that needs repairing. :))

b

1.Where does this sentence come from? I got the sentence from Yahoo answers, but I changed the word 'you' and 'your' into 'she' and 'her' because of copyright. http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080813042538AAfb2vr
2.Why bring 'modelling' into it, just because it's a cliché of late 20th-century psychobabble? I don't know why the verb 'modeled' was used in the sentence.
3.And do you know what 'ideal' means? Yes I know what it means, but the word 'ones' was confusing me. (I'm sorry - it's impossible to repair language when it's the underlying thinking that needs repairing. I didn't make the sentence. I just copied it, and then pasted after changing two words.:))

In addition,Maybe I think now I understood the structure..., I suppose

original sentence=... ... based on those types. Aggressive interactions replace or validate....in those types.

Last edited:

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Changing two words won't help you avoid copyright infringement. Just paste in original sentences and provide a link to the source. Discussing it academically falls under fair use of copyrighted material.

However, now that you've told us that it came from Yahoo Answers, you should know that like Wikipedia, absolutely anyone can post there, but unlike Wikipedia, which actually cares about the correctness of its posts and grammar, absolutely no one cares about that on the Answers forums. Follow the grammar and style you find there at your own risk.

eggcracker

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
South Korea
Okay I pasted in original sentence and provided a link to the source. Thank you for letting me know the difference between Wikipedia and other sites.

Status
Not open for further replies.