• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

Which situaion do people use formal words?

When I look up some words to find meanings for each word, some words are marked as [FORMAL]. I thought [FORMAL] words are used only in formal sitations such as in contract or about the law, or when someone is in a court or in a business meeting, or in a news. but I saw someone using the words which seems it was not formal situation. Is there any other situation formal words are used except such situations like on contract or about the law, or when someone is in a court or in a business meeting, or in a news?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Which situaion do people use formal words?

If you provided some examples of "formal words" you would get a better response.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

I've heard a few people say formal words in casual conversations, but it's difficult for me to remember which situation they used which words all because those words are not the ones I usually hear. However, I took some words they would use from my memory and found some sentences from Google search.

1.In addition, the high court will render a decision on Arizona's toug h anti-illegal immigrant legislation.(This sentence is not the sentence I heard, but I'm using this because of the difference between formal and informal)
    Most people commonly use 'make a decision', but I heard someone saying 'render' like the sentence above instead of 'render' even though the situation was not in business something. Does 'render' freuently be used for 'make'?

2.And like many people, we wanted to talk about how this incident may reflect on the nation's political discourse.(Also this sentence is from Google search.) Some people use discourse frequently even though they are not in formal situation. Does 'discourse' can be used in everyday life?

3. And do people use formal words to someone who is younger than them even the person is not their customer or their superior in the company and they are outside of the company?
    Last edited by eggcracker; 30-Jun-2012 at 02:28. Reason: Additional question(3)

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

1. "Render" is a more formal word, its use fits an important decision coming from a court. You wouldn't say "I'm going to the kitchen to go render a sandwich."

2. "Discourse" is also a more formal word. You would not use it in everyday situations. You wouldn't say "I'm going to go try to discourse with that girl at the end of the bar."

3. People in English-speaking societies (certainly in America) are much less conscious of any "formality" in their language in general. But I'll say no, we don't in general use formal language with younger people.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Quote Originally Posted by eggcracker View Post
    Does Is 'render' frequently be used for 'make'?
    'Render' does not mean 'make' in your sentence. See definition #4 here.