• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

Is this 'comma missing'?

By referencing in one paragraph the relevant material from previous ones, writers can develop important points for their readers.

The above sentence is difficult to understand because of 'by~,' is in front of clause(writers can develop.......) and seems like 'comma' was missed in the above sentence, or 'which is' was omitted. I think the sentence is the same as "Writers can develop important points for their readers by referencing in one paragraph the relevant material from previous ones." But I can't still understand which modifies which between one paragraph(noun) and the relevant material from previous ones(noun).
    Is there comma missing in the far above sentence, or was 'which is' omitted in front of the?

The sentence far above is from Purdue OWL: Transitions and Transitional Devices

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Re: Is this 'comma missing'?

Quote Originally Posted by eggcracker View Post
    By referencing in one paragraph the relevant material from previous ones, writers can develop important points for their readers.

The above sentence is difficult to understand because of 'by~,' is in front of clause(writers can develop.......) and seems like 'comma' was missed in the above sentence, or 'which is' was omitted. I think the sentence is the same as "Writers can develop important points for their readers by referencing in one paragraph the relevant material from previous ones." But I can't still understand which modifies which between one paragraph(noun) and the relevant material from previous ones(noun).
    Is there comma missing in the far above sentence, or was 'which is' omitted in front of the?

The sentence far above is from Purdue OWL: Transitions and Transitional Devices
    The original sentence is perfectly fine.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    The original sentence is perfectly fine.
    Thank you bhaisahab, I understood one thing(By... previous ones, clause structure).
    Does 'one paragraph the relevant material from previous ones' mean the same as 'one paragraph which is the relevant material from previous ones'?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Quote Originally Posted by eggcracker View Post
    Thank you bhaisahab, I understood one thing(By... previous ones, clause structure).
    Does 'one paragraph the relevant material from previous ones' mean the same as 'one paragraph which is the relevant material from previous ones'?
    NO.

"the relevant material from previous ones (=paragraphs)" is the direct object of "referencing"; "in one paragraph" is where the relevant material is to be referenced.