Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
In one of the recent post, bhaisahab wrote "Banned clone of banned user". I'd like to ask, would it be correct to use the indefinite article before the first and second "banned" in that phrase? Is this some kind of ellipsis?

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Think of it as a headline.

CarloSsS

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Why did emsr2d2 use the indefinite article here (https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/support-area/173769-current-troll-problem.html)? Bhai, in the same sense, did not use it. Could "a" be used before the first "clone" in the phrase?
We have a choice here, depending on the context. In normal writing, we use articles with '-/a/the clone of a/the banned user' as we do with other expressions such as '-/a/the representative of a/the recognised body' . When we are deleting a post or banning somebody, we often use headline-type language in the 'reason' box.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Another way to see an example is to look at what people type in the "Reason for editing" box when they edit a post. Let's say I missed out an apostrophe. Grammatically, the whole thing should read "The reason for editing is that I omitted an apostrophe". What it actually says is (in a box) "Reason for editing" and (in the answer box): "Missing apostrophe" or "Apostrophe missing".

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Another way to see an example is to look at what people type in the "Reason for editing" box when they edit a post. Let's say I missed out an apostrophe. Grammatically, the whole thing should read "The reason for editing is that I omitted an apostrophe". What it actually says is (in a box) "Reason for editing" and (in the answer box): "Missing apostrophe" or "Apostrophe missing".
Or, in my case, the catch-all 'typo'.

Status
Not open for further replies.