Student or Learner
Native Language
Malagasy
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Hi,

I have a question on a countable/uncountable nouns. A friend of mine who is teaching English said chalk can be either countable and uncountable when the word refers to a stick of chalk used on a blackboard. So, she said a chalk was acceptable. I was taught to write/say a piece of chalk. However, when I referred to a dictionary, the word 'chalk' is signposted with [C/U]. Now, I'm confused. Please clarify this.

Thanks

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"A chalk" is incorrect. If used as a countable noun, then you need to say "a piece/stick of chalk". If used as an uncountable noun, then "chalk" is fine.

I wrote the words on the blackboard with a piece of chalk.
I wrote the words on the blackboard with chalk.

We also say:

I wrote the words on the blackboard in chalk.

alenjones23

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Chalk is no doubt a conventionally uncountable noun. As you generally write "a piece of chalk" and "chalk" only, there is no use of word in which you use chalk with any counting numbers.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
As you generally write "a piece of chalk" and "chalk" only, there is no use of word in which you use chalk with any counting numbers.
I am not quite sure what you mean by that.

What teachers use, or used to use, is, as ems said, 'chalk' or 'a piece of chalk'. However, artists may use pencils, pastels, chalks, etc in their work. As a teacher in the good old days of blackboards, I always had a box of coloured chalk (containing different coloured sticks of chalk) in my classroom. I believe that an artist would have a box of coloured chalks.

(See 'black and coloured chalks here.)

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Chalk is no doubt a conventionally uncountable noun. As you generally write "a piece of chalk" and "chalk" only, there is no use of word in which you use chalk with any counting numbers.

This is confusing, alenjones, especially when following an informed reply from an experienced teacher.

Please read this extract from the forum guidelines:

You are welcome to answer questions posted in the Ask a Teacher forum as long as your suggestions, help, and advice reflect a good understanding of the English language. If you are not a teacher, you will need to state that clearly at the top of your post.

Rover​

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In the middle of the night last night, the phrase "not by a long chalk" popped into my head with regard to this thread! JMurray beat me to it, though I would still say that in everyday usage, whilst that idiom is very common, we don't say "I have two chalks" or similar.

CarloSsS

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I am not quite sure what you mean by that.

What teachers use, or used to use, is, as ems said, 'chalk' or 'a piece of chalk'. However, artists may use pencils, pastels, chalks, etc in their work. As a teacher in the good old days of blackboards, I always had a box of coloured chalk (containing different coloured sticks of chalk) in my classroom. I believe that an artist would have a box of coloured chalks.

(See 'black and coloured chalks here.)

From that I infer that if you talk about chalk used in schools for writing on a blackboard, then chalk is uncountable. When you talk about the chalk that artists use (perhaps a slightly different kind of chalk than is used in schools?), then chalk is countable. Is my deduction correct?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
From that I infer that if you talk about chalk used in schools for writing on a blackboard, then chalk is uncountable. When you talk about the chalk that artists use (perhaps a slightly different kind of chalk than is used in schools?), then chalk is countable. Is my deduction correct?
Generally speaking, yes, especially if they are speaking of individual sticks. When I was searching around he net, I got the impression that suppliers of the product to artists are not very consistent when they advertise boxes of chalk(s).

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'd say that 'chalks' is the name of the medium artists use - plural, like 'oils' or 'acrylics' ... - but I'm not sure an artist who works in chalks would refer to 'a box of chalks'. I wonder whether every supplier who advertises on the web is a native speaker! (But I can't be sure what artists do; they do and say some pretty odd things. ;-))

b

CarloSsS

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I'd say that 'chalks' is the name of the medium artists use - plural, like 'oils' or 'acrylics' ... - but I'm not sure an artist who works in chalks would refer to 'a box of chalks'. I wonder whether every supplier who advertises on the web is a native speaker! (But I can't be sure what artists do; they do and say some pretty odd things. ;-))

b

Are the chalks that artists use anyhow different from the chalk used in school? Or are they just two different names for the exactly same thing?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Are the chalks that artists use anyhow different from the chalk used in school? Or are they just two different names for the exactly same thing?
I suspect that the chalks that artists use are different in composition from the chalk that a teacher uses. However, I also suspect that if a teacher happened to pick up one of the tools of the trade of an artist, s/he would refer to it as (a piece/stick of) chalk. if an artist picked up one of the tools of the trade of a teacher, s/he might refer to it as a chalk.

abaka

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Just to clarify, "a chalk" can be acceptable English in at least one other sense.

The samples of chalk taken from different quarries may have slightly different characteristics of color, fineness of grain, etc. If they are spoken of collectively as the different chalks, a chalk will refer to one such sample or type of chalk.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:up: The same applies (with appropriate differences) to all so-called 'mass' nouns - grass, sugar, flour...

b

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
:up: The same applies (with appropriate differences) to all so-called 'mass' nouns - grass, sugar, flour...

b

Does it also apply to mass itself? ;-)

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Does it also apply to mass itself? ;-)
Higgs boson goes to church, and someone stops him at the door: 'You can't go in there. The service has started. How dare you - especially with a nick-name like "the God Particle"?'
'But you can't have mass without me.'

b

Status
Not open for further replies.