Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
"My girlffriend and I have been together for 2 years next month."

Would it be acceptable to say "My gilfriend and I have been together for 2 years on July 2nd next month."?

CarloSsS

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

Would it be acceptable to say "My gilfriend and I have been together for 2 years on July 2nd next month."?

NOT A TEACHER

I'd say:
"My girlfriend and I will have been together for 2 years next month." -- IMO, this is not what most natives would say, but it should be at least grammatical.

abaka

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
The reason, of course, is that next month is in the future, while today is the present.

So future perfect for next month, present perfect for today.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia

It's not strictly right. You should say this as future perfect: " ... will have been together ..." because you're talking about a future time.
In practice you could say this: "My girlffriend and I have been together for 2 years - on July 2nd next month." That is, you are using the present perfect (meaning the 2 years has been completed), and then clarifying that it's not quite 2 years yet.

Similarly, compare "I am 21 years old next Monday" with "I'll be 21 years old next Monday."
The first is colloquial, but for formal and academic purposes, and when precision and logic are needed, you should use the second form.

At least that is my opinion.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Similarly, compare "I am 21 years old next Monday" with "I'll be 21 years old next Monday."
The first is colloquial, but for formal and academic purposes, and when precision and logic are needed, you should use the second form.
I don't agree that it is particularly colloquial. I do agree that "when precision and logic are needed, you should use the second form". However, my reaching the age of 21 next Monday is, depending on how you look at it, either a scheduled or a certain (albeit future) fact. One's religious beliefs might require one to add, as my grandmother would, 'God willing', or as others would, 'Inshallah'.

Status
Not open for further replies.