Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Canada
Hi.
I have a problem in understanding this sentence specially the underlined part? What does it mean exactly? Is it an idiom? What is it's dictionary reference?

It is a simple way to get your fingers wrapped around a project.

many thanks in advance
hossein

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Hi.
I have a problem in understanding this sentence especially the underlined part. What does it mean exactly? Is it an idiom? What is its dictionary reference?

It is a simple way to get your fingers wrapped around a project.

[STRIKE]Many thanks in advance.[/STRIKE] You can thank us by clicking on the Like button when you have received an answer which you find helpful.

I have never heard this expression. It is certainly not an idiom and I doubt it was written by a native speaker. It seems to mean 'to get involved in a practical way with'.

In what context did you encounter it?

Rover

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You can "get your arms around" a problem, situation, etc. It means you have a good understanding of it and the scope is managable. I wonder if this was used as a play on words - the situation was a very tiny one? You didn't need to get your arms around it - just your fingers. Just a guess on the play on words, though. It's also quite possible someone didn't understand the idiom.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You can also fail to wrap your brain/head/mind around something if you have trouble comprehending it.

hossein31

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Canada
I have never heard this expression. It is certainly not an idiom and I doubt it was written by a native speaker. It seems to mean 'to get involved in a practical way with'.

In what context did you encounter it?

Rover
Here is the text in which the sentence is. You can find it in the beginning of the last paragraph of the page.
Paper Engineering & Pop-Ups for Dummies - Rob Ives - Google Books

By the way, I don't think the word "specially" has any problems in the spelling. It has two variations: specially and especially. If I am wrong, please let me know. But anyway many thanks for the corrections.

Last edited:

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
"A montage project is a fun and simple way to get your fingers wrapped around a paper-engineering project."

Above is the full quote. I think it just means to get your hands busy with this kind of project. Possibly, and more idiomatically, to come to grips with the project.

not a teacher

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Here is the text in which the sentence is. You can find it in the beginning of the last paragraph of the page.
Paper Engineering & Pop-Ups for Dummies - Rob Ives - Google Books

Thank you. Can you see how helpful it would have been if you had given that context in post #1 rather #5?

Now we know that the author is talking about finger dexterity, as Barb correctly surmised.

Click HERE for information of the usage of specially/especially.

Rover

Status
Not open for further replies.