• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

Is it also Possible?

To avoid the interruption of the winter blizzards in the mountains, travelers normally began their journey in late April or early May.
    above sentences, I definately understand "to avoid" is correct expression in context , but I would like to know whether avoiding is possible instead of "to avoid"

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: Is it also Possible?

Quote Originally Posted by thesimson View Post

To avoid the interruption of the winter blizzards in the mountains, travelers normally began their journey in late April or early May.
    above sentences, I definately understand "to avoid" is correct expression in context , but I would like to know whether avoiding is possible instead of "to avoid"
    No. If you start the sentence with "Avoiding the blizzard ..." then it would be followed by a statement of something someone was doing at the same time as avoiding the blizzard, or simply something like "Avoiding the blizzard was a very good idea".

Avoiding the blizzard, the travellers took a much longer route to their destination but at least they got there safely.
    Avoiding the blizzard, they unfortunately ran into a tornado.

In those examples, "Avoiding" means "By avoiding" or "The result of avoiding was ..."
    Last edited by emsr2d2; 04-Jul-2012 at 09:04. Reason: typo
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

3. Newbie
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

Re: Is it also Possible?

I really appreciate your detailed explanation, as a second english learner, it's very helpful....