Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I once heard the word "pyramid" pronounced [pɜːrmɪd]. It was some time ago so I don't remember who said that. It must have been an American. Is this pronunciation (and its non-rhotic equivalent) common?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I have never heard either. They are not noted in either the LPD or the Cambridge English Pronouncing Dictionary.

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Thanks. I should have posted when I heard that. I don't remember why I didn't. I remember that I didn't even understand the word at first and was quite proud of myself when I worked it out.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
IN Br Eng/ as you no doubt know BC, it's /'pɪrǝmɪd/ - whereas most other words that start 'pyr-' have the first syllable /paɪ/. The only other /ɪ/ word is the not very common 'Pyrrhic' (in which, annoyingly, the 'yrrh' doesn't represent /ɜ:/, as in the also rare [except at Christmas time] 'myrrh'). That's the only one that comes to mind, anyway - though I'm sure some readers will see that 'only' as a challenge! ;-)

b

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Could it have been a pronunciation for effect?

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Could it have been a pronunciation for effect?

Unfortunately, I can't remember anything about it, except for the very pronunciation. I think it was said rather fast because I seem to remember that there was another word I had trouble understanding there.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
The person you heard may be one of those who considers himself a good Merkin, speaking perfect Merkin English. See definitions 2 and 6b here.

Last edited:

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:up:

Maybe its a Southern drawl. George W Bush's 'terrorist' sounded pretty close to 'tourist'. Not the same vowel, but pronunciation does strange things before an /r/.

b

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:up:

Maybe its a Southern drawl. George W Bush's 'terrorist' sounded pretty close to 'tourist'. Not the same vowel, but pronunciation does strange things before an /r/.

b

I think that is a common potential mispronunciation/mishearing/misunderstanding. I have heard several examples of an American deep South accent where it sounds like "tourist". It's also a common issue with non-natives. When I taught in Spain, I heard several students give presentations about terrorism and in almost every one, it was very difficult to work out whether they were saying "terrorist/terrorism" or "tourist/tourism".

It's hard not to give a slight smile when you hear what sounds like "Here in Madrid we are very afraid of tourists. Tourists can be very dangerous and they all want to kill us. I do not like tourists. I teach my children to avoid them and we do not want tourists in our country."

Status
Not open for further replies.