• Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • United States

incorrect english

Hello
    I see so many errors when I read newspapers,magazines and also on the internet.Many people write grammatically incorrect english sentences.I am planning to launch a website that will check every website for any grammatical errors,so I wanted more advice on that.Do you guys think it would be a good idea to run such a website?I want people to learn correct english but you learn correct only when someone tells you where you are making mistakes.I mean if you are doing something wrong and nobody tells you then you are never gonna learn what is actually correct.I would really love any good feedback or advice on this idea,thanks.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Re: incorrect english

I think you are trying to run before you can walk.

First you need to improve the standard of your own written English.

Try rewriting this, leaving a space after a punctuation mark, capitalising English, rephrasing 'but you learn correct' and changing gonna to the standard English form.

Rover

2. Newbie
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Thank you for your answer rover,English is my second language too.I really respect your genuine and honest opinion on my weak English.I really like it when someone tells me about my mistakes ,because I get to learn from that.I am a learner and always will be.One day I will be very proficient with English language.I still need the answer though about my question.I've seen that even native speakers make many grammatical errors when speaking.Here are some examples:
    1)I don't wanna get ran over by him.
    correct:I don't wanna get run over by him.

2)He should have gave you a form.
    correct:He should have given you a form.

3)situation:Manager is talking to employees and tells employees;None of you know how to do it correctly.
    correct:None of you knows how to do it correctly.

4)situation:A person is visualizing himself at someone else's place.Person:If I was you ,I would've gone to a vacation.
    correct:If I were you ,I would've gone to a vacation.

So,my site will check everything and rank websites and different blogs,reporters,authors based on their English grammar.Thanks for your opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rover_KE View Post
    I think you are trying to run before you can walk.

First you need to improve the standard of your own written English.

Try rewriting this, leaving a space after a punctuation mark, capitalising English, rephrasing 'but you learn correct' and changing gonna to the standard English form.

Rover

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

What purpose do you think this ranking will serve?

The space goes after the punctuation mark, as stated above, not after.

No "wanna" has a place in a correction.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by naushil View Post
    Hello
    I see so many errors when I read newspapers,magazines and also on the internet.Many people write grammatically incorrect english sentences.I am planning to launch a website that will check every website for any grammatical errors,so I wanted more advice on that.Do you guys think it would be a good idea to run such a website?I want people to learn correct english but you learn correct only when someone tells you where you are making mistakes.I mean if you are doing something wrong and nobody tells you then you are never gonna learn what is actually correct.I would really love any good feedback or advice on this idea,thanks.
    Are you planning to write software which will examine the contents of each website, or are you physically planning to inspect each one yourself and then write a report? Either way, until your English is improved, it will be somewhat pointless to do either. I have marked in red every error in your first post. Were you aware of all of them?
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.