Unhappy how one clone leads to another

I have several questions about the article from New York times titled " how one clone leads to another". Here, what does it mean exactly lead to and what does another indicate?
    Also, as usual I have several questions as follows;
    1. Cloning threatens things we hold dear. what does it mean hold dear?
    2. Cloning gives one generation unprecedented genetic control over the next. what does this sentence mean? And what does over the next indicate?

3. It is the first step toward a eugenic world in which children becomes objects of manipulation and products of will. here what does the underlined phrases mean?

4. the production of cloned embroys is not reallly cloning.Here what does production indicates?

5. promising results with adult stem cellss, if confirmed, may obviate altogether the putative need for cloned stem cells. this sentence is really confusing. what is the author talking about?

6.cloning would invite the exploitation of egg donors. what does it mean exactly by invite the exploitation of egg donors?

7.lastly, the embryo created by cloning would be the first human embryo to have its genetic identity selected in advance, the first embryo whose makeup is not the unpredictable result of uniting sperm and egg. what does this sentence mean and especally what does the underlined expression indicate?

Sorry for the long questions, and as always look forward to seeing your answer.Thank you !!!!!!!!!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: how one clone leads to another

Quote Originally Posted by bosunyum
    I have several questions about the article from New York times titled " how one clone leads to another". Here, what does it mean exactly lead to and what does another indicate?
    Once you start cloning, it will lead to more cloning. If you clone ONE 'animal', then you will definitely clone ANOTHER 'animal', and cloning will become widespread.
    Also, as usual I have several questions as follows;
    1. Cloning threatens things we hold dear. what does it mean hold dear?
    The things we hold dear are our morals and principles. The right to conceive children, genetic diversity, our individuality.
    2. Cloning gives one generation unprecedented genetic control over the next. what does this sentence mean? And what does over the next indicate?
    Normally, when children are to be born - we cannot decide their sex, hair or eye colour, size, intelligence and resistance to disease. With cloning, this, OUR generation (the scientists) could control the genetics of future children (next generation).
    [quote] 3. It is the first step toward a eugenic world in which children becomes objects of manipulation and products of will. here what does the underlined phrases mean?
    An object is a 'thing'. Here the children are the 'thing' being genetically modified and manipulated.
    4. the production of cloned embroys is not reallly cloning.Here what does production indicates?
    5. promising results with adult stem cellss, if confirmed, may obviate altogether the putative need for cloned stem cells. this sentence is really confusing. what is the author talking about?
    6.cloning would invite the exploitation of egg donors. what does it mean exactly by invite the exploitation of egg donors?
    7.lastly, the embryo created by cloning would be the first human embryo to have its genetic identity selected in advance, the first embryo whose makeup is not the unpredictable result of uniting sperm and egg. what does this sentence mean and especally what does the underlined expression indicate?
    The 'genetic identity' is a UNIQUE genetic code. DNA. Your 'makeup' is the same, just said differently, what makes you - you! Selecting the 'genetic makeup' of a child, hair colour, sex, etc and they can be 'made' to order
    Sorry for the long questions, and as always look forward to seeing your answer.Thank you !!!!!!!!!
    You are welcome!

Talking Re: how one clone leads to another

I recally apprciate your detailed and kind explanation, which was a great help for me to understand the sentences. However, to my disapointment, i could not find any answers about the question 4, 5, 6. could you give me a one more hand???????????????? Please !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: how one clone leads to another

I believe they are vocabulary questions.

4. production is related to the verb produce.

5., 6. obviate, putative, and exploitation.

Please see http://www.dictionary.reference.com/