Member Type
Other
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
South Korea
Hello. I've been wondering whether for now can be replaced with for the present, or as of now in some context.
I know for the present and as of now are not interchangeable, but it seems like the sentence which has either as of now or for the present can have the same meaning after changing the words into for now. And I'm not sure whether for now can have either as of now or for the present. Would you give me some help to come across the difference?
I have three sentences on the below.

1.We will print only around three thousand for now. If it sells well we can always print more later.(I heard this sentence from TV but not sure if I completely recalled it)
2.The idea was contemplated earlier this year, said Surrey parks manager Owen Croy, adding it's been shelved for now because the cost is high and it's unclear how all Surrey's dog owners could be compelled in advance to provide mouth swab samples of their dogs to develop the required DNA database.(From WE Vancouver - Dog poop challenge in parks spurs Metro to cut the crap - Mobile Edition)
3.“Time will only tell,” says Manhattan-based dermatologist, Patricia Wexler, who has used Botox for over 20-years. “As of now, Botox lasts up to three or four months. If Xeomin lasts longer up to six-months and meets all safety standards, then it’s a home run.” (From Beauty: Editors' Blog: Wmagazine.com)

Seeing from sentence 1, the sentence has some possibility in the future(If it sells....more later).
However, The sentence 2, containing for now as well as the sentence 1, seems like it(perhaps/maybe a rule or some regulation) is been shelved because of the high cost and the unclear fact whether the pressure of mouth swab exists in all Surrey's dog. From the sentence 2, I don't see any tentative solution which can improve the situation.
So, is it okay to change 'for now' put in bold into 'for the present' in the sentence 1 and replace for now with as of now in the sentence 2 in these contexts? And will the sentence 3 have the same meaning even after as of now is replaced with for now?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Seeing from sentence 1, the sentence has some possibility in the future(If it sells....more later).
However, The sentence 2, containing for now as well as the sentence 1, seems like it(perhaps/maybe a rule or some regulation) is been shelved because of the high cost and the unclear fact whether the pressure of mouth swab exists in all Surrey's dog. From the sentence 2, I don't see any tentative solution which can improve the situation.
So, is it okay to change 'for now' put in bold into 'for the present' in the sentence 1 and replace for now with as of now in the sentence 2 in these contexts? And will the sentence 3 have the same meaning even after as of now is replaced with for now?
"for now" means the same as "for the present".
I would forget all about using "as of". I never use it and it's often ambiguous.
For sentence 2. it's irrelevant whether you or the
Surrey parks manager can see a solution in the future. He is still saying "for now" and leaving the future open.3. "Time will only tell"? Any paragraph that can start like this is not a good exemplar. To be honest, I'm not exactly sure what "As of now" means in 3. - maybe "now", maybe nothing. This is the problem: "as of" can mean 'now', or "from now" or "up until now".
She probably means "at present", "as things stand right now". She probably doesn't mean "starting from now", which is one of the many meanings of "as of now".

Status
Not open for further replies.