Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
The crisis of the colonial order during 1919 and 1939 was directly linked to the constitutional reforms, disillusionment and militant anti-colonial struggles. Elucidate.

what does "c
risis of colonial order" mean in the above statement?

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I would imagine that the people in the colonies were acting in a disorderly fashion.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
NOT A TEACHER

Great question, David.

I shall be super brief and super careful, for the moderators allow only language discussion on this form.

1. With 100% respect to the person who wrote that sentence, I should prefer something like this:

The crisis of the colonial order between 1918 (the end of World War I) and 1939 (the beginning of World War II)
was directly ....

2. As SoothingDave told us, the terms "constitutional reform," "disillusionment," and "militant anti-colonialist

struggles" explain why there was a "crisis" between the two world wars in regard to the European nations'

African and Asian colonies.

3. Finally, I hope that I am permitted to share a quotation that perfectly sums up the fear among European

leaders that there would be big changes after World War II ended. The Honorable Winston Churchill (the famous

leader of the United Kingdom during World War II) said this (in 1942, during the war):

"I have not become the King's First Minister [prime minister] in order to preside over the liquidation of the

British Empire
."

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
during 1919 and 1939

Wouldn't something like between or from/to work better than during?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Assuming I know nothing of British history, it's possible that there was a crisis in both 1919 and 1939, and both crises lasted about a year. In that case, "during 1919 and 1939" would be fine. If the crisis started in 1919 and ended in 1939, then "between" would indeed be much better.

Status
Not open for further replies.