English Teacher
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Palestinian Territory
Current Location
Palestinian Territory
Hello everybody
Which one is right? We arrived at the airport "on" or "in" time.
Thank you

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
They are both correct.

In what context do you want to use in or on time?

Rover

samya.barham

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Palestinian Territory
Current Location
Palestinian Territory
What's the difference?

TomUK

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
UK
Not a teacher!

From: time - Definition and pronunciation | Oxford Advanced Learners Dictionary at OxfordLearnersDictionaries.com

No 4 [uncountable, countable] the time when something happens or when something should happen

The train arrived right on time (= at exactly the correct time).

Under IDIOMS:

in time (for something/to do something)

not late; with enough time to be able to do something
Will we be in time for the six o'clock train?The ambulance got there just in time (= to save somebody's life).

Sorry for being a rude student, but I would expect that a teacher of English knows this, or at least, knows where to look this up.

TomUK

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
NOT A TEACHER

1. Here are two helpful definitions from Mr. Raymond Murphy in Grammar in Use:

ON TIME = not late.

IN TIME = soon enough to do something.

I have made up these examples. They are not very good, but maybe they will help give you the idea of the difference.

The airport told me to arrive by 3 p.m. ( by = before 3 p.m. or at 3 p.m.) I arrived at the airport at 3:05. They told me:

"Sorry! You did not arrive at the airport on time (that is, you arrived late). At 3:01 p.m. we sold the last ticket to someone else. Too bad. Next time, be on time."

My airplane was scheduled to leave at 4 p.m. Because of heavy traffic, I arrived at the airport at 4:30. But my airplane

was still there (it had had some minor problems, so it was still at the airport). I was so happy that I had arrived in time

to get my plane ( = arrived soon enough to get my plane. The plane left at 4:35! I made it by five minutes!).

samya.barham

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Palestinian Territory
Current Location
Palestinian Territory
Look, I'm an English teacher but sometimes I find things not easy to explain because it's not my language and I still find myself need more to know about the language. My language is Arabic which is from different origin, and that sometimes makes it difficult to understand things. I'm trying to learn more about the language. This helps me to teach it better. That's why I'm asking you.
Thank you

TomUK

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
UK
Look, I'm an English teacher but sometimes I find things not easy to explain because it's not my language and I still find myself need more to know about the language. My language is Arabic which is from different origin, and that sometimes makes it difficult to understand things. I'm trying to learn more about the language. This helps me to teach it better. That's why I'm asking you.
Thank you

I appreciate that you want to improve your English and I can understand that it is more difficult for you to learn a language which is so different from your own. I would suggest that whenever you come across a word or expression you do not understand to look it up here:

Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary at OxfordLearnersDictionaries.com | Find the meanings and definitions of words at OxfordLearnersDictionaries.com

You might even be able to buy a paper copy where you live. Obviously, if you still have further questions you are always welcome to ask them here.

A very good way to improve your English is to look up websites about subjects you are interested in. For example, if you play a musical instrument you can find a number of websites where you can communicate with like-minded people. You will not only learn new vocabulary, but you will also experience how native English speakers express themselves. Because you are reading about something you enjoy doing, it won't feel like learning at all.

TomUK

Status
Not open for further replies.