Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Nov 2009
    • Posts: 1,049
    #1

    Can we use "standards" instead of "criteria" here?

    To be selected as a subject in this study, a patient has to meet the following criteria:

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Jun 2010
    • Posts: 24,500
    #2

    Re: Can we use "standards" instead of "criteria" here?

    No.

  1. eggcracker's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

    • Join Date: May 2012
    • Posts: 269
    #3

    Re: Can we use "standards" instead of "criteria" here?

    According to the Collins Cobuild Dictionary 6th edition,
    A criterion is a factor on which you judge or decide something.
    A standard is something that you use in order to judge the quality of something else.

    Btw, not a teacher.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Nov 2009
    • Posts: 1,049
    #4

    Re: Can we use "standards" instead of "criteria" here?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rover_KE View Post
    No.
    Why? Please

  2. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,626
    #5

    Re: Can we use "standards" instead of "criteria" here?

    Quote Originally Posted by NewHopeR View Post
    Why? Please
    Have you looked up the two words in a dictionary?

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Nov 2009
    • Posts: 1,049
    #6

    Re: Can we use "standards" instead of "criteria" here?

    Quote Originally Posted by eggcracker View Post
    According to the Collins Cobuild Dictionary 6th edition,
    A criterion is a factor on which you judge or decide something.
    A standard is something that you use in order to judge the quality of something else.

    Btw, not a teacher.
    Seems almost the same.
    Confusing...

  3. Barb_D's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2007
    • Posts: 19,221
    #7

    Re: Can we use "standards" instead of "criteria" here?

    You assess something against a standard. For example, in a dog show, a the standard for a male in a breed might be "28 cm at the shoulder." A dog that is 28.5 cm or 27.5 would be judged well against the standard. A dog that is on 24 cm would be judged under-sized. (I made that up - I have no idea if height at the shoulder is a normal standard or not.)

    A criterion is a yes/no.

    You must be at least 25 years old and no more than 40 years old. If you are 24 or 41, you don't meet that criterion.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Nov 2009
    • Posts: 1,049
    #8

    Re: Can we use "standards" instead of "criteria" here?

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    Have you looked up the two words in a dictionary?
    Yes. My dictionary tells me they are the same:


    criterion [krai'tiəriən]
    n.
    1. a basis for comparison; a reference point against which other things can be evaluated

    standard ['stŠndəd]
    n.
    1. a basis for comparison; a reference point against which other things can be evaluated


    But my intuition tells me NO or NOT REALLY.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Nov 2009
    • Posts: 1,049
    #9

    Re: Can we use "standards" instead of "criteria" here?

    Quote Originally Posted by Barb_D View Post
    You assess something against a standard. For example, in a dog show, a the standard for a male in a breed might be "28 cm at the shoulder." A dog that is 28.5 cm or 27.5 would be judged well against the standard. A dog that is on 24 cm would be judged under-sized. (I made that up - I have no idea if height at the shoulder is a normal standard or not.)

    A criterion is a yes/no.

    You must be at least 25 years old and no more than 40 years old. If you are 24 or 41, you don't meet that criterion.
    Thank you.
    It helped, not much though.
    It seems I still need some more information to get a crystal clear picture. Hope other members give me a hand.

  4. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,626
    #10

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-Jul-2012, 19:53
  2. [Vocabulary] Difference between "health" and "wellness", "Diagnosis" and "Analysis"
    By tobysky in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 28-Dec-2010, 23:43
  3. [Vocabulary] How do you pronounce "Cotton", "Button", "Britain", "Manhattan"...
    By Williamyh in forum Pronunciation and Phonetics
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 24-Dec-2009, 09:36
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-Sep-2008, 08:27
  5. confusing words "expressed" or "express" and "named" or"names"
    By Dawood Usmani in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 26-Oct-2007, 19:33

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •