Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
The following is an advertising write-up of a hotel adapted from an English lifestyle magazine:

"Shape up and bring out your summer glow with a three-month membership, including six 60 minute treatments at Melo Spa, a complimentary fitness assessment session, free parking for three hours per visit, outdoor swimming pool, whirlpool, locker rooms and use of tennis court and hotel bicycle with a charge."

My question is, you can see that every item before "free parking" is quantified with the use of articles or the plural form, e.g. a three-month membership, 60 min treatments, etc.

"Free parking" itself is an uncountable noun, so it's reasonable to leave it without articles or "s".

However, starting from "swimming pool" to "use of tennis court and hotel bicycle", there are no articles/plural form for each noun (and these nouns SHOULD BE countable): a swimming pool, a whirlpool, use of a tennis court and a hotel bicycle...

Can I say that the above omission is ungrammatical? Or it can only be accepted in informal writing?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I would say that the text you quoted is a perfectly normal and natural-sounding example of a description of a hotel's facilities. It tells prospective guests all they need to know.

It would sound wrong if the articles which are included were omitted.

I think the copy-writer has got it just right.

Rover

Last edited:

mathias_r

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
When using an enumeration it's your free choice to either omit all the articles except the first one or to put an article in front of each noun.

Examples:
He has just bought a tomato, onion and water melon.
OR
He has just bought a tomato, an onion and a water melon.

Both are correct.

When using a quite lengthy enumeration you may prefer to omit all articles but the first one since it would be annoying to read dozens of articles in just one sentence.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
When using an enumeration it's your free choice to either omit all the articles except the first one or to put an article in front of each noun.

Examples:
He has just bought a tomato, onion and water melon.
OR
He has just bought a tomato, an onion and a water melon.

Both are correct.
Your sentences don't mean the same thing.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

Welcome to the forums, mathias.

Please read the Posting Guidelines – especially this extract:

You are welcome to answer questions posted in the Ask a Teacher forum as long as your suggestions, help, and advice reflect a good understanding of the English language. If you are not a teacher, you will need to state that clearly at the top of your post. Please note, all posts are moderated by our in-house language experts, so make sure your suggestions, help, and advice house the kind of information an international language teacher would offer.

Rover​

kachibi

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Though I asked similar questions before, I really received different answers: some say articles are needed for each singular countable noun, some like you guys say no need. So I hope that there will be a grammar expert answering this post.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
I agree with Rover_KE, the original text is perfect as it is. (I am not a "grammar expert".)

kachibi

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
What did Raymott want to say? He agrees or disagrees?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
What did Raymott want to say? He agrees or disagrees?
I wanted to say that mathias_r's answer was wrong. That is, his statement "
When using an enumeration it's your free choice to either omit all the articles except the first one or to put an article in front of each noun." is untrue.
I showed that it was untrue by pointing out that his sentences (one with articles; one without) do not mean the same thing.

But I agree that the original sentence is good, if that's your question.

mathias_r

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
Welcome to the forums, mathias.

Please read the Posting Guidelines – especially this extract:

You are welcome to answer questions posted in the Ask a Teacher forum as long as your suggestions, help, and advice reflect a good understanding of the English language. If you are not a teacher, you will need to state that clearly at the top of your post. Please note, all posts are moderated by our in-house language experts, so make sure your suggestions, help, and advice house the kind of information an international language teacher would offer.

Rover​

Sorry, I've simply missed the fact that this topic belongs to the 'Ask a Teacher' category. I've somehow thought I would be posting in another sub-forum. I apologize for any inconvenience.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
That's OK, mathias.:) Please don't be deterred from writing in again when you feel you have something to add.

Your answer was actually very well-written and I hope you will continue to contribute here.

The forum has a number of non-teachers whose knowledge of the language is excellent. We value their input.

Rover

kachibi

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Raymott:
1) Why his sentences do not mean the same thing? He says it is a free choice to omit or include subsequent articles. And he provides respective examples. Do not these examples exemplify his sentence?

2) So Raymott, as a teacher, you also think it's grammatical to omit subsequent articles?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Status
Not open for further replies.