Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
1. Does this "elude" mean "avoid" or "don't understand"?
2. At first, I couldn't understand what actually happened in "she talked and talked", but finally realized "Raisa Gorbachev chimed in many times", right?

st122
ex)Even between equally talkative cultures, there are differences in conversational style. In American society, we tend to believe that, even in casual converation, only one person should speak at a time. Yet in many other countries, it is normal for a listener to chime in when someone is talking in order to show enthusiastic participation or involvement with others. Such logoc seems to elude many in the Unites States.
In the late 1980s, the U.S. president's wife, Nany Reagan, complained to the press about Raisa Gorbachev, wife of the Soviet president : "From the moment we met, she talked and talked - so much that I could barely get a word in."
Probably unaware of the "one speaker at a time" ethic, Mrs. Gorbarche might have been wondering why her U.S. counterpart never said anything - and made her do all the conversational work.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
. At first, I couldn't understand what actually happened in "she talked and talked", but finally realized "Raisa Gorbachev chimed in many times", right?[//QUOTE] No. It means that she did not stop talking. She was waiting for Nancy to chime in. As the writer says, "Mrs. Gorbarchev might have been wondering why her U.S. counterpart never said anything - and made her do all the conversational work."

Status
Not open for further replies.