Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
As far as I know, Showstopper means a part of something longer is so impressive that the whole show is stopped to appreciate that part.

But, I have seen usage of Showstopper (even with native speakers) as something without which a project (let's say) cannot go forward. It stops, but not to appreciate the impressiveness, but because it is absolutely necessary to have. :-?

Any comment, please?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I have never been aware of that usage. It seems to be non-standard as none of the dictionaries here mentions that meaning.

Rover

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
A 'deal breaker' is a term that is often used to describe a situation that has reached an impasse.

What is the specific context for your sentence?

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, it can be used in that way. It is something that literally puts a stop to the show, meaning the project.

nowhereue

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
A 'deal breaker' is a term that is often used to describe a situation that has reached an impasse.

What is the specific context for your sentence?

let's say, A research project is going on to develop a product. It needs input from all departments viz. Marketing, Design
, Production, Operation etc. Now, while the project is going on, Finance department is always late with their input. The project manager says "As, this is only a research project and a budget has been allocated, finance input is not a showstopper, though it is good to have."

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I have never been aware of that usage. It seems to be non-standard as none of the dictionaries here mentions that meaning.

Rover
It's used in the IT world. I initially found it very confusing that a 'Priority 5 Bug' was a 'suggestion' - unlikely ever to be fixed - whereas a 'Priority 1 Bug' (or 'Showstopper bug') involved catastrophic failure - requiring VP signoff and all hands to the pumps.

b

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Yes, it can be used in that way. It is something that literally puts a stop to the show, meaning the project.

But the confusing thing is that a literal stopper of a show was aong that excited such a huge audience response that they went on demanding encores. So it was a good thing (from the point of view of the writer); although it was a bad thing from the point of view of the caretaker who wanted to lock up at 10.01 p.m.

b

Status
Not open for further replies.