Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
"The modern world is populated by intelligent gizmos whose universal existence has removed much human labor."
I would like to know which word "zigmos" is most probably means ; devices or creatures and why.
Thanks!

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Re: zigmo

"The modern world is populated by intelligent gizmos whose universal existence has removed much human labor."
I would like to know [STRIKE]which[/STRIKE] what the word "zigmos" [STRIKE]is most probably[/STRIKE] means - "devices" or "creatures".[STRIKE] and why.[/STRIKE]
Thanks!

Concentrate on your spelling. The word is "GIZMO". You have swapped the Z and G round both in your title and in your post. If you have looked up the word "zigmo" then it is not surprising that you have not found anything.

notletrest

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China

Concentrate on your spelling. The word is "GIZMO". You have swapped the Z and G round both in your title and in your post. If you have looked up the word "zigmo" then it is not surprising that you have not found anything.
1. The topic should be "gizmo". I am sorry for that.
2. It is from a test paper for university graduates. My real meaning is a gizmo can be devices. The two choices are both correct. So the design of the question is not right. I would like to hear your opinions.
Thank 2d2 amd others!

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

A gizmo is ONLY a thing, never a person.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Okay, "Gizmo" can also be the proper name of a living thing, but don't feed it after midnight.

tzfujimino

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan

Hello.
To me, "Gizmo" is this:
images

notletrest

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Okay, "Gizmo" can also be the proper name of a living thing, but don't feed it after midnight.
1.The title should be gizmo. I am sorry for my carelessness.
2.It is from a test paper for unversity graduates. My real meaning is creatures and devices are both correct. According to a dictionary , creature means " anything that has been cteated." So I think the two choices are correct, and the design of the question is wrong. What do think of my ideas?
Thank to 2d2 and others!

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
My real [STRIKE]meaning[/STRIKE] opinion is creatures and devices are both correct. According to a dictionary , creature means " anything that has been c[STRIKE]t[/STRIKE]reated." So I think the two choices are correct, and the design of the question is wrong. What do think of my ideas?
Most of us, in my opinion, think of gizmos as gadgets, machines; the question is fine.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Apart from the Gizmo pictured above, a completely fictional creature which was actually called "a gremlin", I have never heard of any living creature, artificially created or otherwise, being referred to as "a gizmo". To me, it's usually an electric/electronic device.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think there were gizmos long before there were electronics.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I think there were gizmos long before there were electronics.

No doubt, but electronics existed before I did so all the gizmos I have been introduced to have been of that type. My grandfather, to his dying day, referred to the TV remote control as the "scary telly gizmo"!

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
So we are 100% clear - it's NOT a creature, it's ONLY a device.

notletrest

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
So we are 100% clear - it's NOT a creature, it's ONLY a device.
First of all, thank all the teachers.
My key lies in logic. According to the dictionary, creature means “anything that has been created” ,which includes “device” , I think. Suppose you don’t know “gizmo” at all , in fact, the above test referring to robot.
Now if I ask you to choose a word in the following question : you can get there by x . a. car , b. traffic tool. In my eyes both are good. Because traffic tool includes car, just as creature includes device.

What do you think of what I said?
thanks!

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
'Traffic tool' is not English, so the question is pointless.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
First of all, thank all the teachers.
My key lies in logic. According to the dictionary, creature means “anything that has been created” ,which includes “device” , I think. Suppose you don’t know “gizmo” at all , in fact, the above test referring to robot.
Now if I ask you to choose a word in the following question : you can get there by x . a. car , b. traffic tool. In my eyes both are good. Because traffic tool includes car, just as creature includes device.

What do you think of what I said?
thanks!

If you base your English study on logic then I'm afraid you are doomed to constant frustration and, ultimately, failure. There are many illogical aspects to the language!

I agree with 5jj on the "traffic tool" question - it's pointless to even consider it because "traffic tool" does not exist in English (you can't just put two existing words together and make a new one).

I was somewhat perturbed by your statement that a "creature" means "anything that has been created". If that were indeed the case, then "creature" could be used for every single thing on this planet. The living beings, both human and animal, having been created by nature (or God, depending on your point of view) and the man-made objects (tables, gizmos, window frames) having been created by people. That just doesn't work.

I found one online dictionary which gave that as the fourth possible definition out of five (sorry, I closed the page and can't find the link now) but the others, for example Oxford (online) only show that as an archaic/middle English definition.

Whatever the logic, I can certainly assure you that in standard, everyday, natural, acceptable English, a gizmo/device is not a creature.

PS - Your username is definitely very apt.

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
ems: Whatever the logic, I can certainly assure you that in standard, everyday, natural, acceptable English, a gizmo/device is not a creature.
Barb: So we are 100% clear - it's NOT a creature, it's ONLY a device.
That should be clear enough.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

Wanna bet? ;-)

(Apologies for non-standard English but it just doesn't work with "Want to"!)

notletrest

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
According to yours:” Whatever the logic, I can certainly assure you that in standard, everyday, natural, acceptable English, a gizmo/device is not a creature.” I agree indeed. But I still have something to say.
1. “creature n. anything that has been created, animate or inanimate, esp. an animatede being, an animal, a man:” quoted from the <<Chambers 20[SUP]th[/SUP] Century Dictionary >>1983 p.294
Just as you said,Oxford (online) only show that as an archaic/middle English definition.”
.what makes me put the post is the definition I looked up in the dictionary.
2. Now if I ask you to choose a word in the following sentence :
He is a x . a. boy , b. child .
In my eyes both are good. Because child includes boy.
3.My conclusion is because the definition “creature n. anything that has been created,” is out of time , the design of the topic is correct. If the definition were modern, the design of the topic would be wrong. Can I say like that?
Thank you all sincerely!

Status
Not open for further replies.