Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
The answer for A and B is 2, but I wonder if 1 can be another answer, too. "Likewise" is comparing two similar situations of his having a hard time in dealing with the terms. And "Indeed" also seems to make sense in B. This question was made by a Korean, so I wonder what he really intended.

ex)My mother! My father! After English became my primary language, I no longer knew what words to use in addressing my parents. The old Spanish words (those tender accents of sound) I had earlier used - ‘mama' and papa' - I couldn’t use any more. They would have been painful reminders of how much had changed in my life. (A) , the words I heard neighborhood kids call their parents seemed equally unsatisfactory. “Mother” and “father,” “ma,” “papa,” “pa,” “dad,” “pop” - all these I felt were unsuitable terms of address for my parents. I was just at a loss. (B) , I never used them at home. Whenever I’d speak to my parents, I would try to get their attention by looking at them. In public conversations, I’d refer to them as my “parents” or my “mother” and “father.”

Q. Which fits the blank A and B? 2
1.Likewise/ Indeed
2.On the other hand/ As a result

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I'd go for #1.

tzfujimino

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Hello.
:-DIn my opinion, "however" doesn't fit in (B) at all. If the author felt all those words were unsuitable terms of address for his/her parents, it would have been quite natural for him/her not to use them at home.
However, I think "on the other hand" fits well in (A).:-?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I think "on the other hand" fits well in (A).:-?
I think there could be a case for that. This is why test compilers often insist on two gaps being filled. Devious swines. They know that there may be two possibilities for one gap and, if they are exceptionally devious, two possibilities for the second. However, if they've got it right, there is the possibility of only one pair of answers on offer being acceptable..

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I'm terribly sorry for the second blank. There were five answers and while copying the answers, I copied a wrong one. The correct answer for B was "as a result", which is quite natural as tzf said.
As for "on the other hand", the original text actually contains it, and as the author is an immigrant, not a native speaker, he could have made an inproper usage of that. Or as I asked, "on the other hand" could mean not an opposing fact to the previous one but just another additional aspect.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
The correct answer for B was "as a result", which is quite natural as tzf said. .
By editing your original post, you have made a nonsense of our responses. Could you please change it back to what you wrote originally. You can then start a fresh thread with the correct alternative.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Please give me a break!!! :oops::oops::oops:

Status