Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Does this expression "humanity failed" common? "fail" in what? Without any object, does it make sense?

ex)...Dark tourism is a pheonomen in which people visit a site where a disaster or tragedy occurred...One example of a dark tourism destination is Ground Zero in New York City...But dark tourism sites are important reminders of times when humanity failed. They can help us learn from the mistakes of the past.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
This is a usage in which 'fail' is more like the French faillir - to be deficient. Humanity is personified - humanity, which should have higher standards, fell short of what is to be expected. But you could regard 'humanity' as an abstract noun - that which chacterizes people: when 'humanity fails', people are lacking in humanity (in that abstract sense).

Note, keannu, that the word you wanted is 'phenomenon'. ;-)

b

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Thanks a lot! You pointed out the translation mistake which uses 1. However, I can't decide if it's 2 or 3. The two are all abstract nouns, and I'd go for 3, but what is it?

all human beings collectively; the human race; humankind. 2. the quality or condition of being human; human nature.
3. the quality of being humane; kindness; benevolence.

tzfujimino

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Thanks a lot! You pointed out the translation mistake which uses 1. However, I can't decide if it's 2 or 3. The two are all abstract nouns, and I'd go for 3, but what is it?

all human beings collectively; the human race; humankind. 2. the quality or condition of being human; human nature.

Hello, keannu.:-D
Does the author mention "the mistakes of the past", which are the cases where "humanity failed"?
If s/he does, it will shed more light on your query.
(I can't see what it means in this limited context, either, actually. It could refer to the terrorist attack or...)

Last edited:

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

3 - though for some believers 2 and 3 amount to the same thing (people who would regard it as tautologous to say 'Human beings should be humane').

b

Status
Not open for further replies.