• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

bristled up his back

1. What does "bristle up his back" mean? The translation goes "his dog erected his back", but I wonder if it means "the dog's back's hair bristled up(got stiff)".
    2.What is the order of the three actions in "giving a low growl, skulked to his master’s side, looking fearfully down into the glen." with "bristle up"?
    I think "bristle => giving = skulk(simultanesous actions) => looked down", but the translation goes "look down = bristle up => give = skulked".

mo3-23 ex) As Rip was about to descend he heard a voice from a distance hallooing, “Rip Van Winkle! Rip Van Winkle!” He looked around, but could see nothing but a crow winging its solitary flight across the mountain. He thought his fancy must have deceived him, and turned again to descend, when he heard the same cry ring through the still evening air, “Rip Van Winkle! Rip Van Winkle!”―at the same time his dog bristled up his back, and giving a low growl, skulked to his master’s side, looking fearfully down into the glen. Rip now felt a vague apprehension stealing over him: he looked anxiously in the same direction,

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Re: bristled up his back

Quote Originally Posted by keannu View Post
    1. What does "bristle up his back" mean? The translation goes "his dog erected his back", but I wonder if it means "the dog's back's hair bristled up(got stiff)".
    2.What is the order of the three actions in "giving a low growl, skulked to his master’s side, looking fearfully down into the glen." with "bristle up"?
    I think "bristle => giving = skulk(simultanesous actions) => looked down", but the translation goes "look down = bristle up => give = skulked".

mo3-23 ex) As Rip was about to descend he heard a voice from a distance hallooing, “Rip Van Winkle! Rip Van Winkle!” He looked around, but could see nothing but a crow winging its solitary flight across the mountain. He thought his fancy must have deceived him, and turned again to descend, when he heard the same cry ring through the still evening air, “Rip Van Winkle! Rip Van Winkle!”―at the same time his dog bristled up his back, and giving a low growl, skulked to his master’s side, looking fearfully down into the glen. Rip now felt a vague apprehension stealing over him: he looked anxiously in the same direction,
    The hair on the dog's back bristled (stiffened) while, simultaneously, he gave a low growl, skulked to his master's side and looked fearfully down into the glen.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

Okay, I can understand "bristle" "growl" and "skulk" happened at the same time, but did "looked down" happened next?
    Also "erecting his back" seems to be a wrong translation, as it's related only to hair.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by keannu View Post
    Okay, I can understand "bristle" "growl" and "skulk" happened at the same time, but did "looked down" happened next?
    Also "erecting his back" seems to be a wrong translation, as it's related only to hair.
    He looked down at the same time as bristling, growling and skulking. Yes, "erecting his back" is an incorrect translation.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

Thanks, I can understand the other three can happen at the same time but how can "bristle up" happen together with them while there is "and" for separation?

ex)...his dog bristled up his back, and giving a low growl, skulked to his master’s side, looking fearfully down into the glen.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

Hello.
    I think it is the "participial construction". All those actions happened at (well, not exactly but) almost the same time, so it would be better to read (interpret) them as they are written in my opinion.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

But this can be interpreted in two ways ", looking fearfully down into the glen."
    1. "while it was looking..."(simultaneous)
    2. "and then, it looked..." (consecutive)
    What's confusing to deal with participial phrase is I have to think about it so deeply to find out the order or implied conjunction.
    In Korean or Japanese, we have verb-ending to distinguish the meaning like "it te mimashita(Japanese)"(went and saw) or "Kaseo boatta(Korean)", but English has only one form to vary its meanings in many ways.