• Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

• Post Thanks / Like

have yet to do

"That compulsion has resulted in robotics. And if scientists have yet to create the mechanical version of science fiction, they have begun to come close." {ret.192}
    Please tell me what's the meaning of "having yet to create", and give me an example. May it is a. have yet been able to creat, b. have yet created c. neither of them ?

Thanks!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: have yet to do

Quote Originally Posted by notletrest View Post
    "That compulsion has resulted in robotics. And if scientists have yet to create the mechanical version of science fiction, they have begun to come close." {ret.192}
    Please tell me what's the meaning of "having yet to create", and give me an example. May it is a. have yet been able to creat, b. have yet created c. neither of them ?

Thanks!
    It means that scientist have not yet created "the mechanical version of science fiction".

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain

• Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

It means that they have NOT created it (the mechanical version) so far, but "they have begun to come close."

Example: The existence of Higgs boson, although theoretically proved, has yet to be ratified through the proper tests.

charliedeut
    Please be aware that I'm neither a native English speaker nor a teacher.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Slovak
      • Home Country:
      • Slovak Republic
      • Current Location:
      • Netherlands

• Post Thanks / Like

It means something along "they still need to create", it refers to a task that needs to be done in future.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by charliedeut View Post
    Hi,

It means that they have NOT created it (the mechanical version) so far, but "they have begun to come close."

Example: The existence of Higgs boson, although theoretically proved, has yet to be ratified through the proper tests.

charliedeut
    Thanks for your hard to get example . Can we take "have not/yet to do = have not/yet done".
    By the way , if we change the negative form into an affirmative one , i.e. "have to do " ,what's the meaning of it? Obviously it is changed basially. Have to do = must do. Hoping for teacher's explanations pointing to my question.
    thanks!
    Last edited by notletrest; 15-Jul-2012 at 12:52. Reason: correct misspelling