Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
"That compulsion has resulted in robotics. And if scientists have yet to create the mechanical version of science fiction, they have begun to come close." {ret.192}
Please tell me what's the meaning of "having yet to create", and give me an example. May it is a. have yet been able to creat, b. have yet created c. neither of them ?

Thanks!

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
"That compulsion has resulted in robotics. And if scientists have yet to create the mechanical version of science fiction, they have begun to come close." {ret.192}
Please tell me what's the meaning of "having yet to create", and give me an example. May it is a. have yet been able to creat, b. have yet created c. neither of them ?

Thanks!

It means that scientist have not yet created "the mechanical version of science fiction".

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Hi,

It means that they have NOT created it (the mechanical version) so far, but "they have begun to come close."

Example: The existence of Higgs boson, although theoretically proved, has yet to be ratified through the proper tests.

charliedeut

miwalko

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Slovak
Home Country
Slovak Republic
Current Location
Netherlands
It means something along "they still need to create", it refers to a task that needs to be done in future.

notletrest

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi,

It means that they have NOT created it (the mechanical version) so far, but "they have begun to come close."

Example: The existence of Higgs boson, although theoretically proved, has yet to be ratified through the proper tests.

charliedeut
Thanks for your hard to get example . Can we take "have not/yet to do = have not/yet done".
By the way , if we change the negative form into an affirmative one , i.e. "have to do " ,what's the meaning of it? Obviously it is changed basially. Have to do = must do. Hoping for teacher's explanations pointing to my question.
thanks!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.