Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi dear Friends,
What's up?

I have another line in here:

Mr. Knightley, a sensible man about seven or eight-and-thirty, was not only a very old and intimate friend of the family, but particularly connected with it, as the elder brother of Isabella's husband. He lived about a mile from Highbury, was a frequent visitor, and always welcome, and at this time more welcome than usual, as coming directly from their mutual connexions in London. He had returned to a late dinner, after some days' absence, and now walked up to Hartfield to say that all were well in Brunswick Square. It was a happy circumstance, and animated Mr. Woodhouse for some time. Mr. Knightley had a cheerful manner, which always did him good; and his many inquiries after "poor Isabella" and her children were answered most satisfactorily.

I think "mutual connexions in Londan" means "Isabella" who is daughter of Mr.Woodhouse and her marriage to the brother of Mr.Knightley. That make a connection as a relative.
But I am not sure about "Late dinner" and the whole sentence of "He had returned to a late dinner ...".

Please give me a translation or simplified version of the underlined sentences.
Thanks.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
He had been visiting Isabella and her family immediately before his return to the area.
I assume he arrived late in the evening.
I assume that Isabella lives in Brunswick Square, where everything related to their home and family is fine.
Mr. Woodhouse wishes Isabella still was with them, and assumes that Isabella wishes the same thing, therefore "poor Isabella" (who is in fact quite happy in her marriage and children) must be suffering because she is not with them.

Oliver_Twist

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Thank you for the reply, Barb_D.
In my opinion the sentence " Mr. Knightley had a cheerful manner, which always did him good; and his many inquiries after "poor Isabella" and her children were answered most satisfactorily." means something else.
First of all "his" refer to Mr.Knightley. Am I right? for the sentence "It was a happy circumstance, and animated Mr. Woodhouse for some time." I am confused a lot. What does "it" refer to? Does it refer to the news about all were well in Brunswick Square???

Please give me some more helps Friends. Thanks again and again:up::up:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
In my opinion the sentence " Mr. Knightley had a cheerful manner, which always did him good; and his many inquiries after "poor Isabella" and her children were answered most satisfactorily." means something else.
First of all "his" refer to Mr.Knightley. Am I right?
No. It was Mr Woodhouse who was asking about Isabella, as Barb suggested. It was Mr Knightley who answered most satisfactorily.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"It" refers to the entire visit by Mr. Knightley.

Oliver_Twist

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Thank you so much!!!!!!!!!

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
And 'their mutual connexions in London' included Isabella, along with everybody else they all knew there. (You may have noticed - perhaps it was in another Austen passage you've quoted - that she spells this as two words - 'every body'. This was the accepted spelling at the time.)

b

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'm wondering if "connexions" was an accepted spelling at the time, instead of "connections".

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It still is - I think you'll find it in many dictionaries. But not many people use it any more. ;-) And I imagine most (if not all) students of English would prefer the T spelling, having learnt 'connect' first.

b

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.