• Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

serfs taxed to provide lords with money for pins

You may answer only one in all.
    1. Do you happen to know what "serfs taxed to provide lords with money for pins" means? Did the servants taxed to provide pin money for the lords? It may need a historical knowledge.
    2. I couldn't find the verb usage of "stern"? The translation goes as "suppress", but I can't find it.
    3. What do you mean by ""a wife's pocket money"? If it's just a times-specific term like in the ancient time, I will ignore it.

330-49
    ex)Not surprisingly, the handmade pins were often in short supply. The scarcity could drive up prices, and there are instances in history of serfs taxed to provide lords with money for pins. In the late Middle Ages, to remedy a pin shortage and stern the overindulgence in and storing up of pins, the British government passed a law...Once the price of pins plummeted as a result mass machine production, the phrase "pin money" was equally overestimated. It came to mean "a wife's pocket money," an allowance sufficient to purchase only pins.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: serfs taxed to provide lords with money for pins

I believe the word should have been "to stem" and not "to stern." As in, to stop the flow.

In the old days, only the man had money to spend on real household expenditures. His wife was allowed "pin money" to spend on her little indulgences, such as a new bonnet.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

I can't thank you enough, and I feel ashamed and at the same time, I feel too much grievance about myself. After I got back to Korea after living in Canada for several years, I felt my eyesight worse than before, so I saw an eye-doctor. I told him my bad eyesight may have come from no fluorescent light installed in Canadian homes(actually I had to depend on only dim standing lamps which I guessed ruined my eyesight), but he said it's because of my farsightedness due to old age. (I'm over 40).
    I'm terribly sorry I mistook "stem" for "stern"

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Don't be embarrassed at all - an r and n next to each other look like an m so the mistake could go either way, and it's also entirely possible that the thing you were reading from had a typo in it!
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.