Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi again,

"It is impossible that Emma should not miss such a companion," said Mr. Knightley. "We should not like her so well as we do, sir, if we could suppose it. But she knows how much the marriage is to Miss Taylor's advantage; she knows how very acceptable it must be at Miss Taylor's time of life to be settled in a home of her own, and how important to her to be secure of a comfortable provision, and therefore cannot allow herself to feel so much pain as pleasure. Every friend of Miss Taylor must be glad to have her so happily married."

"We should not like her so well as we do, sir, if we could suppose it : If we had anticipated her marriage, it would have been better not to like Miss Taylor as we like her.

Is it correct?

Please help me to interpret other lines as well!

I really appreciate it

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If Emma could see such a good friend leave her comany and NOT be sad about it, it would make Emma less likable.

Oliver_Twist

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
If Emma could see such a good friend leave her comany and NOT be sad about it, it would make Emma less likable.

I think he is talking to her father because of the word "sir" in the middle of the sentence ""We should not like her so well as we do, sir, if we could suppose it"

Mr.Woodhouse, you should lover her as your governess a little if you were able to think about her marriage in the near future.
Any help?

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I told you my interpretation. We would not like Emma as much if we thought she would not miss her friend.

I have no further help to offer.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I told you my interpretation. We would not like Emma as much if we thought she would not miss her friend.

I have further help to offer.

Are you sure that's what you meant?! ;-)

Oliver_Twist

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Are you sure that's what you meant?! ;-)

Believe me, this is a complex sentence and I am not sure whether Barb_D's interpretation is correct or not. Austen meant something else.
Barb_D interpreted the sentence as this: "We would not like Emma as much if we thought she would not miss her friend"

Is it really Emma who Mr.Knightley are speaking about or Miss Taylor?
Please answer me if you can. What does "it" refer to in "We should not like her so well as we do, sir, if we could suppose it" ?

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Believe me, this is a complex sentence and I am not sure whether Barb_D's interpretation is correct or not. Austen meant something else. Are you sure? (If so, why ask?)
Barb_D interpreted the sentence as this: "We would not like Emma as much if we thought she would not miss her friend"
Quite correct. I would be surprised, though, if Barb continued to spend time answering you.

Is it really Emma who Mr.Knightley [STRIKE]are[/STRIKE] IS speaking about or Miss Taylor?
Please answer me if you can. What does "it" refer to in "We should not like her so well as we do, sir, if we could suppose it" ?
Yes it is.

"It is impossible that Emma should not miss such a companion," said Mr. Knightley. "We should not like her so well as we do, sir, [Mr Knightley is talking about Emma to Mr Wodehouse, but in her presence]. if we could suppose it. ['It' is the idea that Emma should not miss Miss Taylor:]

b

Status
Not open for further replies.