• Start date
  • Views : 403,516
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Testingprofssional

Hi,
Could any one tell me
What is the difference between THUS ,HENCE,THEREFORE?.when to use these words appropriately?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
They basically mean the same. ;-)

bianco

Member Type
Academic
Hence and thus are by common usage interchangeable, however according to the rules of grammar they are different. Hence should indicate future use - such as "Hence we will proceed as described." Thus should indicate the past in its usage, or to indicate a conclusion, such as, "The British and American troops fought to a standstill, thus no winner was declared."

Common usage is no excuse for incorrect usage. I often interchange hence and thus when using them without thought. Tonight I heard a man say the following, "We ate like animals, we slept like animals, hence we were animals." This was incorrect, "... thus we were animals," would have been correct as cited above.

Clearly the word in question was used to indicate a conclusion, not to describe future conditions. If the speaker had said, "We will live like animals, we will sleep like animals, hence we will be animals," the use of hence would have been correct. However, he did not, thus his use was incorrect.

LaurieM

Member Type
English Teacher
Thank you very much for this useful information. My students do the TOEIC test and these words are often tested. Could you recommend the grammar book where these words are explained? Many thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.