Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I found a few materials on the internet about "participial phrase", and almost all of them say that the subject of "participial phrase" is the sentence subject, and if a participial phrase is used as a reduced relative clause, a comma should be deleted. So does the following content say a participial phrase can be used only as restrictive clause(1) or non-restrictive clause(3) as well?

1.Harold invented his own god laughing maniacally at the sight of a face in a cloud.
:god which was laughing (reduced restrictive clause) - I can understand

2.Harold invented his own god, laughing maniacally at the sight of a face in a cloud.
: While Harold was laughing (participial phrase with the sentence subject)

3.Harold invented his own god, laughing maniacally at the sight of a face in a cloud.
: his own god, which(who) was laughing (reduced non-restrictive clause)

I don't know if either 2 or 3 intepretation is possible and that should be determined by the context.

----------------------------------------------------
• When a participial phrase is attached to the end of a sentence and it is modifying the last word of the sentence (a noun), it may be acting like a reduced relative clause as well. In this case, refer to the rules for restrictive and non-restrictive clauses for punctuation.
Example: Harold invented his own god, laughing maniacally at the sight of a face in a cloud.
The question here is who is laughing maniacally. Punctuated as it is now, laughing maniacally at the sight of a face in a cloud is a participial phrase that modifies Harold. However, it could be seen as a reduced relative clause that is modifying god. This relative clause is restrictive because laughing maniacally would specify what kind of god Harold had invented. Therefore, use no comma.
• Harold invented his own god which was laughing maniacally at the sight of a face in a cloud.
• Harold invented his own god laughing maniacally at the sight of a face in a cloud.

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I think there's a good case for not reducing the clause to maintain clarity.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
You mean 3 can be confused with 2, so they will make 3 clear by saying " his own god, which(who) was laughing "?

2.Harold invented his own god, laughing maniacally at the sight of a face in a cloud.
3.Harold invented his own god, laughing maniacally at the sight of a face in a cloud.

tzfujimino

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Hello, keannu.:-D
I think Tdol pointed out that the "participial construction" should be avoided when the problem of potential ambiguity arises. I personally agree with your interpretation of #1 and #2. I'm not sure about #3.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Okay 3 is kind of vague, anyway if 3 can exist as I've seen in numerous similar case, is the lable for 3 "reduced non-restrictive clause" not like participial phrase of 2? I have to explain to my other people.

1.Harold invented his own god laughing maniacally at the sight of a face in a cloud.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Okay 3 is kind of vague, anyway if 3 can exist as I've seen in numerous similar case, is the lable for 3 "reduced non-restrictive clause" not like participial phrase of 2? I have to explain to my other people.

I wouldn't use #1. I agree with you that the other sentence could be read to mean either 2 or 3. For clarity, I would say:

- Harold invented his own god, while laughing maniacally at the sight of a face in a cloud.
- Harold invented his own god, who was laughing maniacally at the sight of a face in a cloud.

Status
Not open for further replies.