Student or Learner
Native Language
Quechua
Home Country
Qatar
Current Location
Argentina
Dear All,

I don't understand why "on Monday", if they just say "on Monday", readers don't know which Monday, this Monday or last Monday or the Monday before last, please advise.

BBC News - North Korea names Hyon Yong-Chol as new army chief

Mr Hyon replaces Ri Yong Ho, whom North Korea media reported had been relieved of his responsibilities on Monday because of illness.

The decision was made by top North Korean officials on Monday, KCNA said.

EngFan

Last edited:

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The most recent Monday that has passed.

EngFan

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Quechua
Home Country
Qatar
Current Location
Argentina
Thanks. I understood they are talking the most recent Monday cos readers can guess it. In the daily life, should we use this way in our writing? Make it clearly should we say "The decision was made by top North Korean officials this Monday, KCNA said."?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
The article has been tidied up since you posted.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The most recent Monday that has passed.
Use your head for Heaven's sake, Eng_Fan! Of course readers know which - most verbs have tense markers. ;-)

Sorry to be so curt, but this forum is getting more and more cluttered up by people who ignore the communicative aspect of language. Things can seem unclear when you consider them devoid of context. But in the real world things aren't. For example,we know that 'crocodile shoes' aren't the sort of shoes crocodiles wear, because we know they dont! So there's no excuse for asking 'If cricketers' shoes are worn by cricketers, why aren't crocodile shoes worn by crocodiles?' - unless you're Milton Jones.

b

Last edited:

EngFan

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Quechua
Home Country
Qatar
Current Location
Argentina
Please calm down. Just wanted to know if the media have to use accurate word or phrase to describe what happened, otherwise they would possibly be challenged. My English sense is not good enough, just wanted to consult the experts here, one can choose not answering me if one thinks my topic is not one's cup of tea....that's it.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
The media should use accurate language, but the demands of rolling news and constant updates, where speed is the most important thing, mean that mistakes and sloppy language creep in. In this case, the sentences were poorly written and have since been edited. Articles start appearing on sites like the BBC within minutes of an event sometimes- they are often then changed and edited.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Yup. :oops: I didn't get to see the original text, which may have been seriously unckear.

Status
Not open for further replies.