• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

inappropriate qualifications

This is emphasizing the virtue of the middle way in writing, not to much enaged in technical skill. What does "qualifications" mean? The translation is "describing or modifying words", but I couldn't find a proper definition in the dictionary.

330-56
    ex)Equating time spent and quality may in fact be empirically false...More work may not produce a better product. On the contrary, the more we think about a specific writing task, the more we may introduce irrelevant considerations and inappropriate qualifications, and insist on making connections that needn't be made - until we bury the thought in Byzantine ornamentation.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • New Zealand
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Re: inappropriate qualifications

This is emphasizing the virtue of the middle way in writing, not to much enaged in technical skill. What does "qualifications" mean? The translation is "describing or modifying words", but I couldn't find a proper definition in the dictionary.

ex)Equating time spent and quality may in fact be empirically false...More work may not produce a better product. On the contrary, the more we think about a specific writing task, the more we may introduce irrelevant considerations and inappropriate qualifications, and insist on making connections that needn't be made - until we bury the thought in Byzantine ornamentation.

This passage is warning against adding so many modifications, conditions and nuances to the statement of an idea that they tend towards an overly complex expression of the idea, losing its initial clarity and coherence.

not a teacher

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Look up "to qualify" rather than "qualification". When we ask someone to "qualify their statement/claim etc", we are asking them to show evidence that what they say is true.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

But this qualification(qualify) is quite different from the normal usage of "to entitle someone for some right", but rather "amending, correcting, adding, etc", which I never knew before.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Here is a plain statement: I like scallops.
    Here is a qualified statement: If they are cooked well, and if I didn't have shrimp as an option, because shrimp really is my favorite seafood over scallops, and assuming they are fresh so I don't end up with food poisoning, I like scallops.

Do you see the purpose of warning against inappropriate qualifications?
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.