• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

• Post Thanks / Like

For this change agent to succeed, he should be given a blank check.

One of the students used the word "change agent" in his cartoon script. I do not think the word is used correctly.

- Over the past years our managers were too busy thinking of their interests only.
    - But they will stick to their principles and defend themselves. For this change agent (it goes about the newly appointed crisis manager) to succeed, he should be given a blank check. If any restrictions are imposed on his moves, he isn't likely to win. gives the following definition of the word ''change agent'': a role to help members of an organization adapt to organizational change or to create organizational change.
    I would change it for "For him to succeed, ...", but the student apparently wanted to point out that the newly appointed manager is forward-looking and reform-oriented. Are there other options instead of "change agent"?

Thank you in advance.
    Last edited by vectra; 17-Jul-2012 at 19:20. Reason: formatting

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: For this change agent to succeed, he should be given a blank check.

The only problem I have with "change agent" is that it sounds like "management-speak" (or as most people here call it "management b*ll*cks"). It sounds like one of those made-up job titles which is so vague that it would be impossible for anyone to guess what it means, and also to make it sound positive. Don't you think "change agent" sounds like a more positive job than "crisis manager". If your company has a "crisis manager" then it must have a "crisis" - that's not a good admission for any company. A "change agent" though shows that your company is willing and happy to accept change and will even instigate it.

I would say, though, that if it's an accepted phrase (which the dictionary definition suggests it is) then I see no reason for the student not to use it.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.