• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Urdu
      • Home Country:
      • Pakistan
      • Current Location:
      • Pakistan

My bike punctured on the way so I went to the tyre shop to repair it. Please correct

Hi teachers,

My bike punctured on the way so I went to the tyre shop to repair it. Please correct the underlined.

Many thanks in advance.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: My bike punctured on the way so I went to the tyre shop to repair it. Please corr

It seems okay. "My bike (or my bike tire or my tire) got a puncture" sounds more natural to me than "My bike punctured."
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Urdu
      • Home Country:
      • Pakistan
      • Current Location:
      • Pakistan

Re: My bike punctured on the way so I went to the tyre shop to repair it. Please corr

Thank you, Bard.
    I went to tyre shop to repair it or get it repaired? Can I also use "repair shop" instead of "tyre shop"?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by Naeem PTC View Post
    Thank you, Bard.
    I went to tyre shop to repair it or get it repaired? Can I also use "repair shop" instead of "tyre shop"?
    "I went to the tyre shop to get it repaired."
    Whether you use "tyre shop" or "repair shop" depends on the nature of the business. When I lived in India all the local "mistries" (mechanics) would repair punctures.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by Naeem PTC View Post
    Hi teachers,

My bike punctured on the way so I went to the tyre shop to repair it. Please correct the underlined.

Many thanks in advance.
    Typically in AmE you would hear, "My bike got a flat (OR flat tire) and I took it to the bike shop (OR tire shop OR garage, OR service station) etc."

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

If someone else repaired it, then "to get it repaired" is a better choice (although I don't categorically rule out "to repair it" in that case.)

However, in the original, it's possible you got a patch or something else and did the repair yourself. Some of the people I know who ride bikes a lot could probably rebuild the whole thing themselves. Me? I'd have to have someone else repair it.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

I'm not happy about 'tyre-shop'. I've never seen one. Regular cyclists mend their own punctures. People who don't want to get their hands dirty have it done (or 'get it repaired', as Barb suggested) at a bike shop. Most bike shops in the UK sell whole bikes, spares of all kinds. and do repairs and servicing.

b

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Afterthought: As you've been told, 'My bike punctured' is wong. You could say 'my bike got a puncture', but it would sound better to my ear if you said 'I got a puncture when I was cycling here' (or just in a context that makes it obvious that you were on a bike; after all, a puncture can only be sustained by a bicycle tyre. It would be pretty strange if you said 'Sorry I'm late; I had a puncture' and meant a lumbar puncture! [not a serious suggestion])

A less formal way of saying you had or got a puncture is 'I picked up a puncture'.

b