• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

the response to that perception

I can't tell the difference between "perception" and "the reponse to that perception". Is it like "perception" is "fearing flying" while "the response" is the thinking that the plane will crash?

330-78
    ex)Sometimes people do hold views that are objectively "irrational", such as people who fear flying. Internally, however, these people are reacting rationally to the world as they see it. At some level, they believe that this plane will crash. If we too believed that, we would not fly either. It is the perception that is distorted, not the response to that perception. Neither telling such peopl that they are wrong nor punishing them for their beliefs is likely to change how they feel...

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • New Zealand
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Re: the response to that perception

I can't tell the difference between "perception" and "the reponse to that perception". Is it like "perception" is "fearing flying" while "the response" is the thinking that the plane will crash?

ex)Sometimes people do hold views that are objectively "irrational", such as people who fear flying. Internally, however, these people are reacting rationally to the world as they see it. At some level, they believe that this plane will crash. If we too believed that, we would not fly either. It is the perception that is distorted, not the response to that perception. Neither telling such peopl that they are wrong nor punishing them for their beliefs is likely to change how they feel...

the perception = the plane is likely to crash
    the response to the perception = because the plane is likely to crash, I do not want to fly on it

The passage is saying that it is the perception that is distorted and irrational; but the response to that perception, being a reluctance to fly because it is likely to crash, is rational.

not a teacher