Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Does “work out accommodation” mean “plan for a place to stay” in the following sentence? If not, what is the correct meaning?

I will be in Poland throughout June and from what I can work out accommodation in the host cities around particular games is pretty much booked out.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
It's: I will be in Poland throughout June and (from what I can work out), accommodation [...] is pretty much booked out.

Does that help?

Shamsiyan

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
It's: I will be in Poland throughout June and (from what I can work out), accommodation [...] is pretty much booked out.

Does that help?

Could you please explain the meaning of the sentence?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Could you please explain the meaning of the sentence?
Which words have you looked up in a dictionary and still don't understand?

Shamsiyan

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Which words have you looked up in a dictionary and still don't understand?

"from what" , "work out" , " accommodation" , "booked out"

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
"from what" , "work out" , " accommodation" , "booked out"

Then give up all hope. If, with the help of more than 100 dictionaries here and the responses from members to the nine or ten threads on 'accommodation' that you have started, you still claim not to understand 'accommodation', then you are simply not making any reasonable effort at all. I will not bother to respond to any more of your questions. If you keep this up, others will also decide not to waste their time.

tzfujimino

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Does “work out accommodation” mean “plan for a place to stay” in the following sentence? If not, what is the correct meaning?

I will be in Poland throughout June and from what I can work out accommodation in the host cities around particular games is pretty much booked out.

O.K.
I will split the sentence into several groups. Try rewriting those parts (you don't understand) in your own words.

1. I will be in Poland throughout June
2. from what I can work out
3. accommodation / in the host cities around particular games / is pretty much booked out

what... = the thing(s) that...
work out... = (in this context, I think it's close to) find...
booked out = (in this context, I think it means the same as) booked up, fully booked

:-D

Chicken Sandwich

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands

tzfujimino

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Shamsiyan, I'm perplexed that you still don't understand what an "accomodation" is, even though I, and other members have explained what this word means. Have you read my response from a couple of days ago? If not, read it again here https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/ask-teacher/174641-meaning-office-accommodation.html.

S/he seems to understand the meaning of the word in this context because s/he has used "a place to stay" in post #1.
The longer a sentence becomes, the more confused s/he seems. It might be partly because of a lack of his/her grammatical knowledge. Dictionary definitions won't solve all the problems s/he might have.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
S/he seems to understand the meaning of the word in this context because s/he has used "a place to stay" in post #1.
The longer a sentence becomes, the more confused s/he seems. It might be partly because of a lack of his/her grammatical knowledge. Dictionary definitions won't solve all the problems s/he might have.
Alternatively, it could just be deliberately trying to waste everybody's time. The word 'troll' springs to mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.