• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Grammar correction

Guys I need help with my grammar ,here are few of the sentences where i am getting stuck ,

1 > The Hotel where the intelligence agents were staying at was bombed by the terrorists .
    2>Injustice is so rampant around us that everyone does not get what is due to them.
    3>Of all the men I know ,none is less inclined than he to talk ill of others.
    4>The last few week have seen an outpouring of anger alleged western media bias that calls for apologies from leading foreign news media and even advocates the boycott of certain foreign business with large scale online petitions

Please suggest me how to spot errors if any in the above sentences and how to correct them

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: Grammar correction

Quote Originally Posted by abhishiek View Post
    Guys I need help with my grammar ,here are few of the sentences where i am getting stuck ,

1 > The Hotel where the intelligence agents were staying at was bombed by the terrorists .
    2>Injustice is so rampant around us that everyone does not get what is due to them.
    3>Of all the men I know ,none is less inclined than he to talk ill of others.
    4>The last few week have seen an outpouring of anger alleged western media bias that calls for apologies from leading foreign news media and even advocates the boycott of certain foreign business with large scale online petitions

Please suggest me how to spot errors if any in the above sentences and how to correct them
    Which part are you stuck with in each sentence? One of the main errors is that you have put a space before a comma and you haven't put a space after a comma. That is the wrong way round. You have also failed to end two of your sentences with a punctuation mark at all.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    Which part are you stuck with in each sentence? One of the main errors is that you have put a space before a comma and you haven't put a space after a comma. That is the wrong way round. You have also failed to end two of your sentences with a punctuation mark at all.
    Yea i am sorry bout the space and comma error ,dint know that ,punctuation marks is due to my haste , apart from that i would like to know how to correct the sentences,

I know in the first sentence "at" should be removed but don't know y grammatically ,or the sentence can be rewritten to make it correct.Same for the second sentence .Can you shed some light on why we are performing these actions ,and when they should be performed in the future if similar case arises .

In the other two i don't know whether there is error or not

Cheers

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

If you are in too much of a hurry to punctuate correctly, especially after being corrected , then I don't think many teachers will be in too much of a hurry to help you.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Welcome to the forum, abhishiek.

We are happy to help when we can, but we like to think that people read and take notice of our responses. ems wrote, "One of the main errors is that you have put a space before a comma and you haven't put a space after a comma." You ignored this in your next post. Is there any point in our responding, if you are going to ignore what we say?

If you are serious about improving your English, try posting your message again, after correcting it - bearing in mind what ems said. Also, please remember to use a capital letter for the first person pronoun 'I'.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Quote Originally Posted by 5jj View Post
    Welcome to the forum, abhishiek.

We are happy to help when we can, but we like to think that people read and take notice of our responses. ems wrote, "One of the main errors is that you have put a space before a comma and you haven't put a space after a comma." You ignored this in your next post. Is there any point in our responding, if you are going to ignore what we say?

If you are serious about improving your English, try posting your message again, after correcting it - bearing in mind what ems said. Also, please remember to use a capital letter for the first person pronoun 'I'.

I am really sorry about carelessness ,i was maybe little inconsiderate and will try not to repeat it in the future ."One should be humble while one is learning" ,so the revised set of questions are

3>Of all the men I know, none is less inclined than he to talk ill of others.
    4>The last few weeks have seen an outpouring of anger alleged western media bias that calls for apologies from leading foreign news media and even advocates the boycott of certain foreign business with large scale online petitions.

Hope We can start afresh

Cheers

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Quote Originally Posted by abhishiek View Post
    I am really sorry about carelessness ,i was maybe little inconsiderate and will try not to repeat it in the future ."One should be humble while one is learning" ,so the revised set of questions are [...]
    abhishiek, if you want us to help you, you must try to help yourself. In the words I have quoted above, you have, once again, completely ignored what ems said.

As Soothing Dave said, "If you are in too much of a hurry to punctuate correctly, especially after being corrected , then I don't think many teachers will be in too much of a hurry to help you."

Try again, but remember:

ems: "One of the main errors is that you have put a space before a comma and you haven't put a space after a comma. That is the wrong way round. You have also failed to end two of your sentences with a punctuation mark at all."

5jj: "Please remember to use a capital letter for the first person pronoun 'I'."

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Word, then comma, then space. Simple.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Czech
      • Home Country:
      • Czech Republic
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Quote Originally Posted by 5jj View Post
    abhishiek, if you want us to help you, you must try to help yourself. In the words I have quoted above, you have, once again, completely ignored what ems said.

As Soothing Dave said, "If you are in too much of a hurry to punctuate correctly, especially after being corrected , then I don't think many teachers will be in too much of a hurry to help you."

Try again, but remember:

ems: "One of the main errors is that you have put a space before a comma and you haven't put a space after a comma. That is the wrong way round. You have also failed to end two of your sentences with a punctuation mark at all."

5jj: "Please remember to use a capital letter for the first person pronoun 'I'."
    Once again, the word "troll" comes to mind.
    Please note that I'm not a teacher.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Quote Originally Posted by CarloSsS View Post
    Once again, the word "troll" comes to mind.
    Thanks for being patient, I am not a native English speaking guy and this comma rule was alien to me, Now I know it and will be more careful in the future. I am also annoyed that I repeated the mistake twice.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast